cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frequent reboot of cisco switch,(cisco 1783-BMS10CGN) Is it a license issue ?

NGeo17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Our customer complaints of frequent reboot of a few Cisco switches

Pls find the logs:

*Mar 1 00:00:05.830: Read env variable - LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL =
Mar 30 01:27:41.489: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = ie2k Next reboot level = lanlite and License = No valid license found
Mar 30 01:27:41.841: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = ie2k Next reboot level = enhancedlanbase and License = enhancedlanbase

------------------ show version ------------------

Cisco IOS Software, S5700 Software (S5700-UNIVERSAL-M), Version 15.2(3)EA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 17-Feb-15 13:42 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is IE2000 boot loader
BOOTLDR: IE2000 Boot Loader (IE2000-HBOOT-M) Version 15.2(3r)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

CE5_Switch uptime is 2 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 01:27:33 UTC Wed Mar 30 2011

Reason for reboot is showing unknown.

License Level: enhancedlanbase
License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: enhancedlanbase

cisco 1783-BMS10CGN (PowerPC405) processor (revision M0) with 262144K bytes of memory.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
its showing poweron so it lost power to the device

From the docs
Power-On. If the show version command output shows restarted by reload or System returned to ROM by power-on, you can infer that the router was either power-cycled, or that the power source went down for a few seconds.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
its showing poweron so it lost power to the device

From the docs
Power-On. If the show version command output shows restarted by reload or System returned to ROM by power-on, you can infer that the router was either power-cycled, or that the power source went down for a few seconds.

Thank you Mark for the quick response.

Just wanted to know one more thing, does the logs in the switch suggest something, particularly "%IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = ie2k Next reboot level = lanlite and License = No valid license found "

Thanks in advance

could you post the output of the show license or show license right-to-use and we see exactly whats active first then we can base it against the alert see if its an issue

Unfortunately I wont be able to do that, since our vendor has gone to this site and sending him back can be next to impossible. Still I can check if that is possible.

Meanwhile Mark you mean to say lanlite license may be still active above enhancedlanbase which is why I may be getting that alert ?

It may be silly to ask but clearing up things, if I have enhancedlanbase wont it override lanlite

lanbase is higher license than lanlite so i wanted to see what exactly was in permanent state on the switch in license output , those alerts may mean nothing if just part of the bootup output but if they are constantly appearing in logs then somethings up

both could be permanent and if so lanbase wins as higher license with more features

Thank you Mark. My questions are answered, still if I can get a show license I would surely post it.

Cheers!

Mark, I had another switch which had the following config:

JKT_L2_UPACK#show version
Cisco IOS Software, S5700 Software (S5700-UNIVERSAL-M), Version 15.2(4)EA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 28-Sep-15 23:41 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is IE2000 boot loader
BOOTLDR: IE2000 Boot Loader (IE2000-HBOOT-M) Version 15.2(3r)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

JKT_L2_UPACK uptime is 25 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, 54 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
Last reload reason: power-on

License Level: enhancedlanbase
License Type: Permanent
Next reload license Level: enhancedlanbase

and in another one where Last reload reason says : Unknown.

In my original case there was no last reload reason..why so ?

Hi
i cant answer that you need TAC as per the documentation, there are certain reasons for certain outputs , for unknown TAC need to look at it with there diagnostic tools

Unknown Failure

Unless circumstances clearly indicate a hardware problem (see the Troubleshoot section), contact your Cisco technical support representative.
Unknown Reload Cause

Here, the defect that caused the crash does not allow the router to record the reload reason. This issue can be related to hardware or software. Unless circumstances clearly indicate a hardware problem (see the Troubleshoot section), contact your Cisco technical support representative.

Check whether you can resolve the defect through an upgrade to the latest Cisco IOS Software version in your release train. Otherwise, collect additional information from the crashinfo file or from the console logs (refer to Troubleshooting Router Crashes), and contact your Cisco technical support representative.

Alright, would do, thank you Mark.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card