cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FS.COM optics in Cisco 9500-32QC and C9606R line card C9600-LC-24C

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

We have FS optics QSFP-ER4-40G and QSFP-BD-40G that are not compatible with the two switches listed above. Tried code 16.12.4 and 17.3.2a    in both switches...same failure with optics turning led orange and the non-compatible log note. 

The QSFP-BD-40G do work in our C9300-NM-2Q modules but the ER4 do not. Asked FS to look into it since the Cisco notes says they are supported with Cisco optics. FS said someone else complained even the Cisco SR-BD 40G did not work in their switches.  Anyone else come across these issues yet?  Waiting for FS response after sending them all the data. $10K worth of optics that was supposed to be compatible. At least it is not affecting our switch replacements yet.  

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FS has a pretty good support system. They should be able to figure it out if this is their issue and not Cisco's.

HTH

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

QSFP-BD-40G is a Cisco proprietary optic and only works with another QSFP-BD-40G optic and is designed for connecting Cisco Nexus FEXs to parent switches.

HTH

Not sure I follow you.. the Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD   (listed by FS as the QWSFP-BD-40G) works in our 9300 switches when we connect them together with this optics. I would suspect it should work in the 9500-32QC since it is listed as supported too (the QSFP-40G-SR-BD) and FS implied it is compatible. They are looking into it. We may order a Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD to see if it also displays an incompatible log note since that is what some other client complained about with Cisco optics. We are at the latest release levels Cisco has released. 

Ok, I guess FS now is producing BD capable optics as this used to be a proprietary optic and you could only get it from Cisco.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to try a Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD optic and test with it.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FS has special optical modules "re-flashed" to appear like "Cisco" when inserted.  If these were not purchased then the Cisco switches will act accordingly and disable the ports. 

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

sh version
sh idprom interface <OPTICAL PORT WITH OPTICS>
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card