cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Full BGP routing table on a Nexus 7000 VDC?

dal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi.

Can a VDC in a Nexus 7000 handle a full BGP routing table? I'm told that a full table contains about 400 000 routes.
The Supervisors in the Nexus are Supervisor Module-1X (N7K-SUP1)

According to show system resources, they seem to have 8G RAM: Memory usage:   8260660K total,   3402060K used,   4858600K free

If the answer is no, will any of the newer Supervisors for the Nexus 7000 be able to handle it (inside a VDC)?

If the answer is still no, what routers should i buy (from the ASR series, I guess?).

The router need to handle 1G wire speed on at least 5 interfaces, in addition to the full BGP routing table, of course :)

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The Nexus series is designed for data centers to provide the fast possible packet switching with low latency and not to handle full BGP routing table. 

The current number of BGP routes is close to 600k now and a good router that can handle that is the ASR series. You can get an ASR 1002X series with 16Gig memory and you should be good for a long time.

see table-2 in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/verified_scalability/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Verified_Scalability_Guide.html

HTH

Hi, and thank you for your answer.

I understand that the Sup1 does not support it, but according to the link you posted, it seems that the SUP2E can manage the full routing table without problems?

Anyway, I was looking at the ASR 1001X.. any reason I should choose the 1002 model?

Hi,

I personally would not install a 7k as an Internet edge router, but that is just my opinion.

Anyway, I was looking at the ASR 1001X.. any reason I should choose the 1002 model?

I like the 1002 because it can go up to 36g of throughput if you need it in the feature vs 1001 is 20g.  Also 1002 has more SPA slots (3).

HTH

I can understand that you don't want to use a 7k as an internet edge router, but it is fully possible, right? Based on the link you posted?
Because a 7k is what I got right now.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card