Views
Helpful
Replies

Future IP V6 LAN ?

Didier1966
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a trainer in AUDIO / VIDEO products , more and more we are in contact with switches an routers to build up some systems.

More and more our dealers are confused with what is going on in the IPV4 to IPV6 migration , they are afraid that the LAN they build today will be useless after the 8 of June 2011 or later.

So far I can read about IPV6 it is more related for the ISP provider , I think they will still give a IPV4 for the LAN ROUTER of the customers.

Will we still use IPV4 in LAN's in 10 years from now ?

I do not see the benefit to have IPV6 in a HOME LAN

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank You in advance for your information.

Best Regards,

Didier

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Most routers that have been built in the last  few years should already be ipv6 capable .   If you are talking old boxes like 2500 or 2600 then those might not be compatible.

View solution in original post

In addition to the replies above, I would add that the most likely issues with IPv6 support end to end in a system will not typically be with the switches and routers (assuming they are Cisco or otehr enterprise class gear of, say, a vintage from the past 5 years or less) but rather in any services platforms that may be in the systems and end user devices or appliances. Things such as load balancers, firewalls (though most enterprise level firewalls support IPv6), devices with embedded operating systems, management systems, etc. will give you issues more likely than your network infrastructure.

I recently upgraded some segments of our network to support native IPv6 (i.e., IPv6 up throught the host operating systems from remote clients across the Internet). The only hardware I had to replace was a Cisco ACE-20 load balancer. I had to upgrade the image on my 6509 core and get my providers to add IPv6 to my border routers once we got a registered IPv6 address range from ARIN (that would be RIPE in EMEA or APNIC in Asia). Everything pretty much worked as advertised once I did that.

One of my next projects will be adding that same capability to our user LAN. Fun stuff. The hardest thing is trying to think in hexadecimal.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

IPV4 is not going away anytime soon .  They are out of ipv4 addresses to give out though for public purposes . ISP's will be the first to convert I would think.   I think you will see a  "very slow" migration to ipv6  for corporate use.  If you build a ipv4 lan today it is not going to be obsolete a year from now .   I'll be the first to admit  I haven't looked at  ipv6 too much yet.  From what little i have read I don't really understand the new addressing scheme for ipv6 yet.

Hello,

Thank You for Your prompt reply , this is also what I think

I hope that we are right , some of our dealers use some VPN connections between 2 sites and they are afraid they will have to go back and even worse some think they will have to change the routers

We will see and time will show , but to be proactive is not bad idea

Best Regards,

Didier.

Most routers that have been built in the last  few years should already be ipv6 capable .   If you are talking old boxes like 2500 or 2600 then those might not be compatible.

Thank You ALL for your input.

Best Regards,

Didier.

In addition to the replies above, I would add that the most likely issues with IPv6 support end to end in a system will not typically be with the switches and routers (assuming they are Cisco or otehr enterprise class gear of, say, a vintage from the past 5 years or less) but rather in any services platforms that may be in the systems and end user devices or appliances. Things such as load balancers, firewalls (though most enterprise level firewalls support IPv6), devices with embedded operating systems, management systems, etc. will give you issues more likely than your network infrastructure.

I recently upgraded some segments of our network to support native IPv6 (i.e., IPv6 up throught the host operating systems from remote clients across the Internet). The only hardware I had to replace was a Cisco ACE-20 load balancer. I had to upgrade the image on my 6509 core and get my providers to add IPv6 to my border routers once we got a registered IPv6 address range from ARIN (that would be RIPE in EMEA or APNIC in Asia). Everything pretty much worked as advertised once I did that.

One of my next projects will be adding that same capability to our user LAN. Fun stuff. The hardest thing is trying to think in hexadecimal.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card