cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway load balancing protocol virtual routers 1024?

llukman.halimi
Level 1
Level 1

Hey folks. 

I just want to confirm something regarding the 1024 virtual routers (glbp groups) on each router's physical interface. I know that each virtual default gateway supports up to 4 forwarding routers. 

The part where I am GETTING CONFUSED at is 1024 on each router's physical interface. Does this mean that 1 router physical interface can be apart of 1024 different default virtual gateway's? Like if we have set up a virtual default gateway router with IP address 192.123.12.2 for group 1 then we set up another virtual gateway for those same routers with an IP address of 172.16.123.12 for group 2. So with these 2 groups the router physical interfaces have 2 virtual gateway router's set up?

Does that make sense how I explained it an where I am getting confused? 

2 Replies 2

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

GLBP supports up to 1024 virtual routers (GLBP groups) on each physical interface of a router, and up to four virtual forwarders per group. So you are right you can create 1024 routers with 1024 virtual IPs, and only 4 gateways can participate in each of that 1024 groups.

---Do not fogert to rate useful post---

Regards,

No I am saying per router interface. Example 1 router (router1) interface can be apart of 1024 virtual IPs correct. When I say apart I mean 1 interface of the 3 other interfaces on the other routers that are included for 1 virtual interface address (1 GLBP group).

-Now let's say we decide to create another virtual interface and decide to use that same interface on router1 to be apart of this new GLBP group (group2) now that router1 one is part of 2 GLBP groups (2 virtual IP addresses) does that mean that the physical router interface on router1 can now still be apart of other GLBP groups (1022 other ones).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card