Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway of last resort found on voice router

itpadawan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have found a gateway of last resort on my router which is used for the voice vlan. The ip address of the gateway of last resort points to a switch.  I noticed this issue while attempting to update to new 3650 switches. 

If I attempt to remove the older equipment, I immediately lose voice traffic.  I am suspecting that this configuration is the cause.  I believe the correct course of action is to remove the gateway of last resort from the router and specify the gateway of last resort on all the new switches to point to the router instead.  Is this correct? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Had to advise. It seems you lacks even basic networking skills (no offense, just simple fact noted). Gateway of last resort (called "default route" in non-Cisco outer space) is term related to routing, not switching. You need a router in LAN (including Voice-LAN one). Local address of such router should be known to devices connected (e.g. phones). In most common scenario, DHCP delivers such parameter to devices/phones.

Unfortunately, we know no your network topology, we know nothing about IP management used in your network, number of routers, DHCP server presence (if any), phone provisioning (if used) ...

No way to provide advice for your particular network with so vague description available and administrator with no networking skills.

My best advice is - as a local skilled network administrator for help.

Oh! Thank you for your reply.  This is the type of reply that I anticipated from the holier than thou,

with God like networking skills (no offense.  Just noted.)  I assumed that a simple question in regards to a misconfiguration would trouble the best and brightest VIP out there into a sharp lecture in how incompetent my beginner skills in networking really are.  In regards to asking a a skill local administrator, I must be mistaken as to what this "community" is for.  Alas,  I have been shown again that this forum is just to show who has the most "knowledge" when it comes to Cisco devices.  There is no need for your retort.  I must thank you for putting me properly in my place.   I would also like to add that next time you attempt to belittle someone please use proper English, or just shake your head and move on to the next post that amuses you in the "Community" 

Good day

English is foreign language for me. We may switch do Czech, if you wish the perfect speaking is more important than the content.

The advice you wished for has been part of my response - it's in sentences 2-4. Follow them and your issue will be solved. But based on text of your question I anticipated you will be unable to follow technical advice. So sorry if I missed badly. And sorry again if my attempt to help you made you hurry.

I no longer wish to continue this discussion with you.  I do appreciate the time that you have taken to disrespect me yet again.  Thank you

Hello

Sounds like you are on about the default route of the router, and that the switch which is defined as the nexthop is performing routing now as you have noticed if you change this next hop  to any other nexthop address and that address isn't then you will experience outage to any off site networks which your clients access via this router/switch..

Are you able to post a topology of your network and maybe also explain where you would like your traffic to be routed if its not via the existing next-hop, It may be you can policy route your traffic whist still keeping the default route as it is. 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card