Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-SX-MMD Compatibility with Third Party

evanm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I am struggling to find information on SFP compatibility. I have to setup a connection from a Cisco C9300-24S to a Netgear GS724T. The Netgear switch is a replacement that a customer is requesting on their end removing one of the existing Cisco switch. We currently are using GLC-SX-MMDs between both Cisco switches but unsure if I can leave the GLC-SX-MMDs.  How do I go about finding out third-party compatibility with GLC-SX-MMDs?

My assumption is that I need to go based on things like (media, wavelength and speed). I've reviewed the FOTP and it appears that we are using OM1 (62.5 microns) currently. GLC-SX-MMD states that it supports 62.5 μm Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fibers up to 220m. So If I understand this correctly, I just need to ensure the SFP being purchased for the Netgear is compatible with 1Gbps and works with 62.5 microns. 

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards.

-E

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

evanm
Level 1
Level 1

I think I found the answer to my own question. Review the specs of the Netgear switch. It only lists one compatible SFP for 1000-Base-SX (AM731F). I am guessing the MMD diagnostic capabilities will not work once the Netgear switch is installed. 

netgear_spec.PNG

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

evanm
Level 1
Level 1

I think I found the answer to my own question. Review the specs of the Netgear switch. It only lists one compatible SFP for 1000-Base-SX (AM731F). I am guessing the MMD diagnostic capabilities will not work once the Netgear switch is installed. 

netgear_spec.PNG

GLC-SX-MMD you have most likely will work with Netgear. Netgear is a lot less particular about the type of SFP you use than Cisco.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card