Views
Helpful
Replies

Help converting flat network to VLAN...

jasondiskin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have a flat network, layer 2 switching, with a single vlan. We have already configured our 3550 switch so each port has a separate vlan. We setup the SVI and have f/01 as a routed port to the internet and inter vlan routing facilitator. All of that is working perfectly in the lab. However, my big question, and I have been trying for days to figure out is... We obviously cannot change all 500 users/customers default gateway at the same time. We need the old default gateway to still be reachable from all newly created vlans. We tried trunking to the 3640 router, but it only allows one vlan per subinterface. So again, we have vlan 76, 77, 78, 79 working perfectly within the 3550 switch with their new ip address/subnets (64.65.76.1., 64.65.77.1, 64.65.78.1, 64.65.79.1) All the customers in each of those vlans will need to be able to reach the new default gateway (works already) but also be able to reach the old default gateway (45.69.48.1 not working ). Obviously the trunking to the router will work with one of the vlans, but how can I get it to work with the other 3? I just want a port on the 3550 to be a member of all the vlans at layer 2 where the 3640 ethernet interface is connected without haveing to couple the layer2 vlan with a layer 3 ip address. I can get it to work on a single vlan by either trunking using the switchport trunk native vlan command and not put any configuration on the 3640. Or adding the trunk information for the subinterface of the 3640.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am about to use one vlan and switchport protected mode which will limit me later on.

Thanks,

JD

1 Reply 1

jasondiskin
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a diagram...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card