cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP: I cannot get IP addresses from my DHCP server for my

laboon
Level 1
Level 1

My DHCP server doesn't assign IP addresses to my PC's. I configured dhcp for VLAN 70 and VLAN 20. But it doesn't give out IP's. Does this have anything to do how my network is built up? I only tried to configure the VLAN's 70 and 20 so thats why the other parts of my network aren't configured.

This is a big project for school and I need to make a network for a business that has redundancy. But I don't really know if am doing it right. Feedback about the network would be appreciated to.

Thank you so much in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I manage to get ip address on the PC. 

The problem is that you configured ip address 192.168.1.2 on the DHCP server and gateway 192.168.1.1 but you didn´t configure the Core.

You need a vlan on the core with IP address 192.168.1.1 to talk with DHCP server.  I configured vlan 1 with IP address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.240 and works. I had to run the command "no shut" on the vlan 1, for some reason it was down.

You also need to make sure the vlan is passing on the trunks and the the interface that connect the PC is on the correct vlan.

About the design, there´s nothing realy wrong if you keep on access switch or stack on the remote location. But, if you intend to put more switch, I´d start to thing in stablish a Layer 3 communication with Core and not Layer 2.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

I manage to get ip address on the PC. 

The problem is that you configured ip address 192.168.1.2 on the DHCP server and gateway 192.168.1.1 but you didn´t configure the Core.

You need a vlan on the core with IP address 192.168.1.1 to talk with DHCP server.  I configured vlan 1 with IP address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.240 and works. I had to run the command "no shut" on the vlan 1, for some reason it was down.

You also need to make sure the vlan is passing on the trunks and the the interface that connect the PC is on the correct vlan.

About the design, there´s nothing realy wrong if you keep on access switch or stack on the remote location. But, if you intend to put more switch, I´d start to thing in stablish a Layer 3 communication with Core and not Layer 2.

Hello!

Thank you so much for helping me. It is finally working!

I just have on small question. Is it normal that I can ping a vlan 70 from a vlan 40 pc? I know they are on the same switch but aren't they supposed to be separated or am I totally wrong?

Thank you so much again!

Hi

It is normal as both are created on the Core and the Core perform the inter vlan routing.  As you can see below, as the layer 3 for each vlan is the core, the packets comes up to the core and are routed between vlans.

Switch#sh ip route

Gateway of last resort is not set

192.168.1.0/28 is subnetted, 3 subnets

C 192.168.1.0 is directly connected, Vlan1

C 192.168.1.16 is directly connected, Vlan20

C 192.168.1.96 is directly connected, Vlan70

Oh I see, thank you so much for taking the time.

Have a great day!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card