cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Help] Subnetting!!!

thienphongtran
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a newbie in this topic. My duty is separate a network into 30 subnets( without using vlan). My model is below. My needs is:

- Every L2 Switch belong to a constant and sole ip range and when i connect it to any L3 Switch then it still works with original ip.

How can I do that? please!!!

2.PNG

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- On a 'local Intranet' and or without a L3 boundary (router); you need Vlan's for subnetting ; 

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/34441

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 isn't Multiple Switch  a  L3 Device?

- No, multiple switches can be connected to each other, over one network (one vlan) ; if you start subnetting and create Vlan's they will be connected through trunks (which can carry mutiple-vlan-traffic too)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 But I can assign an IP to a port in Multiple Switch?

- You cannot  assign an IP address to a L2 port.

M.

@marce1000 If its my misunderstanding, in Multiple Switch, we can use "no switchport" command to change a Port to a L3 Port?

- Yes, you can do that , I am not sure what you mean by 'Multiple Switch' ?

M.

@marce1000 my mistake! its Multilayer Switch? So as my original question, Can i do that?

- Yes, 

M.

@marce1000 Then How to do that? I'm very new on this? also this my first duty for job!

Hello

@thienphongtran wrote:

- Every L2 Switch belong to a constant and sole ip range and when i connect it to any L3 Switch then it still works with original ip.

How can I do that? please!!!

2.PNG

Not sure what you mean here,can you elaborate on your requirements, as it not quite clear - What I can clarify is routed ports CAN be created from access ports but it all depends on the switch model and feature set running ( example: Lan base feature set doesn't support routed ports)

Attached is a subnetting document I complied for another post which may be able to assist in subnetting a/24 ip range

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver according to my model, i want to separate network into 30 and more subnets(i theoretically know subnet ). My need is: When i connect a computer to any L2_Switch(I name it in model), it still be active without changing its original ip. sorry my english not good.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card