cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with configuring switch routes

bricas2934
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i am practicing with packet tracer and making routes in switches. I configured the MLSW1 to connect to all 3 switches, but after i broke the connection from MLSW1 to SW3, PC3 no longer can ping PC2. 

I had made the ports trunk from SW1,2 and 3, but i don't know if i am missing something else? 

If anyone knows of any tips i could try, that would help a lot! 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes, add vlans manually with vlan 10 command in global config mode; repeat for vlan 20 and 30. 

before adding look at output of show vlan brief and show interface trunk;  it should tell u which vlans are missing; vlan missing on trunk means there is no STP for that vlan . also no traffic belonging to "missing" vlan will pass thru the switch. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hello,

If you were able to ping between PC3 to PC2 with the connection on the MLS but not able to once that connection was gone I would suggest 2 things to start:

1. Are all VLANS  on all switches. Even if a VLAN is not needed for an access port it must be created on every switch that traffic needs to flow through.

2. Does the MLS have a Default GW (assuming the PCs are in different VLANS) and can PC2/PC3 ping their default GW when you remove hat link between SW3 and the MLS.

If those check out can you provide the Switch configs for all 3 access switches and the MLS. You can upload them to a text file instead of pasting in here.

-David

I have attached my file to your comment. I am still learning so i could use any advice!

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you can attach PT file here in a zip format;

Regards, ML

Thank you, i found out how to do that

it seems to be ok; after a while, network has stabilized and PC got IPs; you can ping ok, all PCs ping each others ok. This delay could be PT fault as I had some issues when PT has many L2 links in the past.

Couple notes; Sw 2 is Root for vlan 20, which is ok; I would make MLS Root and see what happens - if u still have PT issues. (Add/force MLS as Root for vlan 1 for good measure as well)

As pointed above by David's note :"Are all VLANS on all switches"  If u want re-direct some vlan traffic then u could use switchport trunk allowed vlan add/remove/all/none command rather then not adding vlan x to switch.  This may not cause issues in real network with real gear but it may in PT (is just a simulator; not real IOS);

Note: because of L2 switching delays, PC are not getting IPs; you must wait a bit or force ipconfig /renew

Regards, ML

Wait until all switch ports are "green",a aka forwarding; then do ipconfig /renew and Ping all PCs. it works for me

For link redundancy  -in case of link/switch failure- add all vlans as mentioned by David

Regards, ML

Pings work fine when all connections are up and running, but lets say i broke the group 3 connection, I am trying to configure the alternate route for when "group 3" is gone. It could then take the route from either:

PC3 - SW3 - SW1 - SW2 - PC2 

or

PC3 - SW3 - SW1 - MLSW1 - SW2 - PC2

Thank you

your redundancy does not work now because you are missing vlans; all vlans should be present on all switches so when a link or a switch goes down, STP calculates new ports or even new Root switch if needed.  Add "missing" vlans on all switches

Regards, ML

Since I made some ports i thought would work trunk, does not work? And when you say i have to add vlans to the other switches, is that adding vlans as in ports vlans 10,20 or 30? or is it adding it a different way?

Thank you

yes, add vlans manually with vlan 10 command in global config mode; repeat for vlan 20 and 30. 

before adding look at output of show vlan brief and show interface trunk;  it should tell u which vlans are missing; vlan missing on trunk means there is no STP for that vlan . also no traffic belonging to "missing" vlan will pass thru the switch. 

Regards, ML

I did the simple command to add the vlans to each switch other than the vlan that is on that switch already and that worked. I just typed in "vlan 10" "vlan20" etc on the switches in config mode. Now after i break "Group 3" connects, it works like i planned.

Thank you for your help!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card