cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with LAN Design & Products (Not For Profit Organisation)

SWOHSAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am assisting a startup not for profit organisation to set up a new network. 

They have been given a donation to buy hardware, software etc. Some of this software is available from Microsoft and Cisco and other partners at a generous discount.  The Cisco hardware available is as per the list at http://www.donortec.org/cisco-donated-hardware to the value of $1000AUD

Choosing the hardware for a standalone network is reasonably easy for the small number of users/PCs etc. a 877W ISR would do the job nicely.  However, this organisation has been offered donated shared office space, power and use of some network infrastructure (Namely use of a Sharp MFP, Samsung LED TV) and the bookkeepers time*.

The existing network consists of:

HP ML150 running Microsoft SBS2008 (Client is using RWW and OWA)

Cisco 877W connected to ADSL connection for web

Multiple laptops 4-16 (xp,Vista,Win7) connected via wireless and wired (Slowly adding in wired points to the office).

Sharp MX2301N MFP

Samsung LED TV (Just been added and awaiting a wired connection.)

Growth is 2-4 laptops added per year

The new network should consist of:

HP ML150 running Microsoft SBS2008 (Client will be using RWW and OWA)

Multiple laptops 1-6 (Win7) connected via wireless and wired (Slowly adding in wired points to the office).

An incoming ADSL connection.

Use of the Sharp MX2301N MFP

Use of the Samsung LED TV (Optional)

*A very nice to have is for the Bookeeper to be able to connect to both domains from one laptop (not at the same time though)

Growth is unknown but 2-4 laptops added per year is possible.

What I need to know is:

What hardware should I get (from the available list) in order to:

Create the standalone network infrastructure.

Allow shared use of the common items ie Printer

Caveats:

The hardware used would need to support the NFP organisation if they outgrow the current arrangement of donated office space etc. (ie someway to connect to ADSL and then to wired and wireless clients.

Reuse of existing hardware (ie the 877w) is preferred.

SBS2008 does not play nicely with other SBS servers on the same network (ie Trusted domains arent allowed) (Happy to be shown otherwise)

Gigabit network preferred.

VOIP to external is also optional (future use)

Both organisations have limited IT budgets and simplicity to configure/support rates above full/complex future configuration.

There is a deadline for commissioning the system before mid August to coincide with a national awareness week.

I have a couple of scenarios for comment:

1) 2 x 877W Routers each connecting to a seperate ADSL connection and then to a shared Switch with 2/3 subnets/VLANs (1 for each SBS domain, 1 for shared printer))

2) 2 x ADSL modems connecting to a Router then to a shared Switch with and 2 Wireless APs and 2/3 subnets/VLANs (1 for each SBS domain, 1 for shared printer)

I am familiar with general network topology but it has been some time since I was configuring to this level/with a shortlist of equipment already decided for me.  I am not familiar with Cisco products in general and what can achieved with the right mix.

Your help is most appreciated.

Regards

Rod

7 Replies 7

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Question:- Gigabit network preferred - why?

Re: {Question:- Gigabit network preferred - why?} (PS Thanks Andrew)

All the connecting devices (PCs) have 10/100/1000 LAN cards so having a switch that supports 1000mb would be preferred internally. ie The 877w only has 10/100 ports.    (I also may be using the wrong terminology re: Gigabit(?))

I   f i n a l l y  got an answer via Cisco in Australia, Apparently the following will do what I need it to do:

Cisco 2960-S Series 24-Port Gigabit Power over Ethernet Switch

Cisco 877W Router for ADSL and Wireless Applications

Cisco 870 Series 32-MB Flash Memory Module

2 x Cisco Aironet 1140 Series b/g/n Access Point

2 x Cisco Aironet Power Injector for 1140 Series

The 2960-S will have 3 VLANs, one for each Org and a shared one for Printer etc.

Wireless via 1140 APs (one for each Org, probably not use the Wireless on the 877W unless for Guest internet only bypassing the internal network)

Hopefully the hardware will be sent out sooner rather than later.

Does anyone want to lend a hand in the configuration?

Mate, this is not "on". 

You say that you are a not-for-profit organization yet the shopping you get is kind-a bit pricey for your category.

1.  I wouldn't recommend a router with built-in wireless.

2.  1140?  Are you planning to do full-on 2 x 3 MIMO?  Otherwise the 1040 is less expensive.

3.  870 32mb memory module????  Seriously, I don't understand this.

4.  2960S????  You're not doing stacking and you're not doing PoE so why recommend this model.  The plain 2960 is more appealing to the budget.

By the way, I'm here in Canberra.

Hi leolaohoo

The hard part with any network config is building the system for today... but also for tomorrow... and next year.  Nothing worse than going back in 12 months and suggesting that they ditch the equipment they bought for something better/different.

1) True, Not needed currently, but it will allow Guest use to bypass the internal network.

2) The 1040 isnt available on the list.

3) Is just an expansion of memory (Granted not strictly needed but more memory is better - IF it is needed, it is there)

4) 2960 only supports 10/100, also the 1140 APs support PoE, so the switch will power these. Also allows expansion to VOIP in the future.

The Cisco program only allows 1 bite every 12 months over 2 years.  Microsoft is the same.

This Organisation has missed the 1st 12 month window as they didnt have funds to get the system in place - in other words they get one chance to get the system right that will have to suit them for the next 2 years - even if they get additional funding they cannot reapply.  (Case in point, I have tried to order some Microsoft products for the system.  The initial order placed a year ago, the person ordering confused Seats with Titles - and ordered 1 copy of Office and 4 other random Titles (none of which they use).  I now have only 1 Title left to order (although I can order up to 50 Seats of the other Titles )  So I am in damage limitation for the next 12 months as I am severely restricted in what I can order - even though the funds are there.

Also check out the prices on Donortec... I cant even get a 877W on its own for that.

4) 2960 only supports 10/100, also the 1140 APs support PoE, so the switch will power these. Also allows expansion to VOIP in the future.

Sooooooooooo what's the "2 x Cisco Aironet# Power Injector for 1140 Series" for?

By the way, went to the website and better get Cisco 890 Series Wireless Gigabit Ethernet Security Router instead of the 877.

2 x Power injectors because: "The product requires the AIR-PWR-B power supply for connection to local power, the AIR-PWRINJ4 power injector for power over Ethernet, or another inline power source."  (Also was told I needed them by the Cisco rep.)  On reading the line again (or other inline power source) , does the switch provide the power and thus the injectors are not needed?  (See, this is why I posted here )

There was some reason why the 890 was dropped from the list and I cant for the life of me remember why maybe due to the existing 877w and keeping the equipment as similar as possible for admin?  Same scripts, just change the pertinant details?

If your switch is PoE then you don't need the PWR-INJ4. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card