cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with LAN setup

billbmcse
Level 1
Level 1

Any help appreciated but if someone can step me through the entire process so that I can go back and correct something I did wrong, that would be great. I know that I'm missing a few pieces so I will just ask the question as if I am setting up from scratch because in essence that's what I plan on doing.

Currently I have a Dlink router/switch connected to my cable modem. It has 4 wired ports and supports wireless. I just purchased a Cisco 851w and instead of replacing the DLINK, I want to connect the Cisco device to the DLINK giving me two things, more wired ports and a separate wireless network. I have tried lots of different configurations and some piece always seems to not work. So for now, I'm going to put the Cisco wireless piece aside and just ask for help on how to get the wired ports configured on VLAN 2 while the f/e 4 wan port is connected to one of the wired ports on the DLINK.

I have the WAN port on the Cisco device getting an IP from the DLINK via DHCP. I have the wired ports on the Cisco device part of VLAN 2. VLAN 1 is for the wireless network but ignoring that for right now. So how do I get the wired ports to receive an IP address from the DLINK via the wan port F/E 4?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bill,

If vlan 2 is used for your internal network i.e. PCs, Laptops, etc.... then you need to set up a DHCP pool on your 851 router.

some thing like this:

ip dhcp pool internal-network
   import all
   network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 10.10.10.1
   dns-server 4.4.4.4

replace 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 with your internal network

replace 4.4.4.4 with your current DNS server you use on the Dlink

HTH

Reza

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any help appreciated but if someone can step me through the entire process so that I can go back and correct something I did wrong, that would be great. I know that I'm missing a few pieces so I will just ask the question as if I am setting up from scratch because in essence that's what I plan on doing.

Currently I have a Dlink router/switch connected to my cable modem. It has 4 wired ports and supports wireless. I just purchased a Cisco 851w and instead of replacing the DLINK, I want to connect the Cisco device to the DLINK giving me two things, more wired ports and a separate wireless network. I have tried lots of different configurations and some piece always seems to not work. So for now, I'm going to put the Cisco wireless piece aside and just ask for help on how to get the wired ports configured on VLAN 2 while the f/e 4 wan port is connected to one of the wired ports on the DLINK.

I have the WAN port on the Cisco device getting an IP from the DLINK via DHCP. I have the wired ports on the Cisco device part of VLAN 2. VLAN 1 is for the wireless network but ignoring that for right now. So how do I get the wired ports to receive an IP address from the DLINK via the wan port F/E 4?

Hi,

As per the post you mean that port which is connected to DLINK gets the ip address abd you want the rest of the port also gets the ip address from DLINK.

Configure DHCP pool on cisco 851w with same subnet which is publish in DLINK for assigning ip address to host which used to connect to other port.

and configure gateway as DLINK interface,check out the below link for dhcp configuration in cisco 851

http://www.networkstraining.com/how-to-configure-dhcp-on-cisco-851-or-871-router/

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card