cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with SG110-16HP 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

CPKR
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, I posted this elsewhere in the forum without reply so I thought I would try in Switching. I'm sure one of you experts could help please.
Dear All,
I am a novice network person who needs a little advice please
At home I have a SG110-16HP 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch that connects to various LAN sockets around my home
The PoE sockets are used to connect directly to 3 access points (Ubiquiti) and two CCTV cameras. Al of this works fine.
But I am now trying to add an extra access point in my lounge, and my problem has begun.
I have purchased a Netgear GS308P PoE unmanaged switch and have plugged that into one of my LAN sockets, thinking that I could then plug my new PoE access point into one of the PoE ports.
For some reason the Netgear GS308P switch will not connect to the LAN socket. Previously I had a non-PoE network switch in exactly the same place and that works fine. (I couldn't use the old switch for my new access point as it did not have PoE)
Being a novice I figure I am missing something obvious. Please can someone put me out of my misery.

My complete setup at home is:
BT Home Hub Router. (Wi-Fi Turned off)
LAN lead goes from the BT router to a Cisco SG110-16HP 16 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
LAN leads go from the Cisco switch to various LAN sockets around the house and the PoE sockets feed my existing 3 x AC-PRO access points.
From one of the sockets where I need to place the new AC-PRO I had a Netgear GS105 unmanaged switch. I have replaced this with a Netgear GS308P PoE unmanaged switch
When I plug the AC-PRO into one of the PoE ports on the new GS308P the AC-PRO lights up and eventually goes blue. But I have no internet connection.
I have double checked that the LAN socket works, which it does. I have plugged my old GS105 back in and all connections work fine.

I’m sure I am not understanding some sort of switch protocol? Is it possible that a PoE switch cannot be used downstream from another PoE switch

Many thanks All

2 Replies 2

Hello,

does whatever is connected to the Netgear GS308P get an IP address, and can you ping BT Hub Lan IP address from whatever is connected to the Netgear GS308P ?

The difference between the Netgear GS308P and the GS105 is, as far as I can tell, that the latter is not a PoE switch. What if you disable PoE on the port of the Cisco SG110-16HP that connects to the new GS308P ?

Thank you Goerg, 

Nothing that connects to the new Netgear GS308P gets an IP address.

(The LAN socket in my lounge already connects to a NON PoE port on the Cisco switch).

When I connect from this LAN socket to the new Netgear GS308P it displays no lights on that port but if I connect the old non PoE Netgear GS105 the lights on the port immediately light up.

It is very odd, the Netgear GS308P just will not seem to connect to the LAN socket. I have tried different LAN leads and have tried every socket on the GS308P. When I plug existing kit into the Netgear GS308P each port does light up as expected. i.e If I plug in my PC the socket lights up same for a Wii and Blue Ray player which implies to me that the switch is ok?

Sorry to be a pain!

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card