Views
Helpful
Replies

High "Transmit Discard" for sleep desktop

DNA2
Level 1
Level 1

Good day to all!

I am detected high "Transmit Discard" on solarwind on certain ports. After drill down there are mostly connected to PC.

Found that when the PC is shutdown or sleep, the switch port still show connected, but it state to 10 mbps half duplex. When boot up, it show 1gbps full duplex.

So far there is no issue on operation. 

Just wonder if this is normal.

Thanks/

Dylan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dylan,

I port going to 10Mbps when the PC is asleep is more a function of the desktop nic than the Cisco switch. However, if the port is still up and forwarding at only 10Mbps, it is possible that you over run the port and get output discards. Even a large volume of broadcast traffic in the vlan could burst over 10Mbps. Sounds like expected behavior. You could do a packet capture on the port to verify what the traffic is at the time of the drop. 

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Dylan,

I port going to 10Mbps when the PC is asleep is more a function of the desktop nic than the Cisco switch. However, if the port is still up and forwarding at only 10Mbps, it is possible that you over run the port and get output discards. Even a large volume of broadcast traffic in the vlan could burst over 10Mbps. Sounds like expected behavior. You could do a packet capture on the port to verify what the traffic is at the time of the drop. 

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card