Views
Helpful
Replies

hirschman with cisco

Shani444
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Frineds,

I am having issue with integration between Cisco and Hirschman switches. there is different pattern of cisco mrp domain-id which is  FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFF and in Hirschman 255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255

so i have multiple rings and every ring should have same domain-id. but with these different pattern how i can chose the same domain-id on both switches.

Regards

Shani

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco follows most of the time IEEE / RFC standards. if another vendor not compatible, then this will be limitation of each side products, and they are not compatible with your requirement.

I believe you have cisco IE switches?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi balaji

Thanks for your reply and you are right i have IE5000. If these two are not compatible than i should have at least cisco document or a reply from them. Thats my problem i dont have to prove.

Thanks regard

Shani

Hello,

I don't think you can combine both MRP domains. What you can do is combine the MRP (Hirschmann) ring with an RSTP (Cisco) ring in MRP compatibility mode, as described in chapter 4.7 (page 68) of the attached user guide.

Hi George,

I have already tried that what you are talking about. There is also limitation that cisco use rapid pvst and hirschman use simple rstp 1w standard so it work for only 1 vlan. Rest of vlan dont take part with hirschman rstp.

Is there any other solution or a cisco document to prove these two switches are not compatible with my requirements?

Thanks gor reply

Regards

Shani

Shani

I am not familiar with the hirschman switches so my advice would be fairly limited. My first thought was that perhaps it was just a difference in how to represent a field that is actually binary data. 255 is the representation of 8 binary ones and FF is the hexadecimal representation of the same 8 binary ones. Since there are 16 occurrences of 255 then the hex representation of the same data would have 32 F characters. Unfortunately your representation of the hirschman value has only 31 F characters. So it does seem that these switches are not compatible. Unfortunately I do not know of any document that states this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Finally i am able to blk one port in 2 mrp rings but now i am facing port flapping issue in the network even my one port is blocked. PLC having 3 NIC in same subnet with every NIC configured with gateway IP of vlan.

Can you tell me whats creating issue?

Thanks  

Shani

Unfortunately I do not have enough information to be able to give good advice on this. What did you do to get it to work? Perhaps that might provide some insight.

In many discussions in this community we would be asking for config information. For these switches I am not sure that we would understand it, but it might be worth a try.

Are there any log messages that might shed some light on the issue?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

RCal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shani,

I'm designing a network with Cisco and Hirschmann using MRP, and I wonder how you've solved your interoperability issue. My plan is to use a Cisco IE-4010-16S12P that will be placed in a distribution layer with 2 rings (one for the up to another distribution switch and another ring down to the access layer). Both adjacent switches will be Hirschmann, and each of them will be part of 2 different domains (say, domain-id 1 towards the distro and domain-id 2 towards the access layer). In addition, I double checked the information about the number of 'F's and '255's in both Cisco and Hirschmann switches and both vendors represents the same number of bytes for their domain-ids (Cisco in HEX and Hirschmann in DEC) as it can be seen below the partial configuration from one Hirschmann RSP35 switch:

<snipped>

configure
sub-ring operation
sub-ring add 1 mode manager vlan 2 port 1/2 name "PLCxyz" mrp-domain 255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255
sub-ring enable 1
exit

</snipped>

Any comment to clarify my concerns would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco