Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Lab/Router on a Stick Question

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I must be missing something I just don't know what.

I setup a home lap to practice some things and here's what I have done.

cisco 2950 Router 1841

setup 2 vlans on my switch 100 and 200 and trunking on port 24, I put interface 1 in vlan 100 just as acccess port.

On the router I subinterface fa0/0 to 0.100 and 0.200 gave both IP addresses and subnet mask corresponding to 100 and 200 on switch

setup 802.1q with the corresponding vlan info. Now for my issue I gave my laptop a valid IP address for vlan 100 and can ping switch and gateway. I cannot ping vlan's 200 subinterface on the router and don't know why. I have enabled IP routing on router and from the switch I can ping both subinterfaces. Everything is up, up when I look at the routing table it sees both networks as connected. Shouldn't I be able to ping from my laptop sitting on vlan 100 to the subinterface gateway of vlan 200 on my router? 

Thanks,

16 Replies 16

Yes correct.

As long as you are not mixing up the ports ie. you need to make sure if you are in vlan 100 you have used an IP from vlan 100 as well.

There is nothing that i can see wrong with your switch or router config at the moment.

When you change the IP on the laptop can you just clear the arp cache on the router to make sure there is no conflict there.

There is something a little weird in the output of your trunk link. It is reporting the native vlan as 500 but you don't have this in your configuration on the trunk port and you don't even have a vlan 500 in the vlan database so something isn't quite right. 

Do you know where this came from ie. was it from some configuration you have changed ?

Jon

Yes, I changed the native vlan to 500 it was 1 before and it didn't work when it was 1 but you may be on to something as I've kept it at 500 and when I did the show vlan brief it shows Native as 1....I will double check this later today. I will just change it back to 1 for simplicity sake. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco