Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Network Question

skocos1989
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone!!

As I was preparing for my ICND2 test yesterday, I thought maybe to get more hands-on experience with the equipment I would take my lab equipment and insert it into my home network.  My setup goes as of right now:3550 -> 2621 -> cable modem.  I have several test vlans configured on the L3 switch.  With my current configuration I can ping from a pc plugged into the switch to the modem.  I can't get out from there though.  I know in all liklihood I'm missing one stupid thing.  I have a default route on the switch pointing to the router, a route for my internal 10 network pointing to the switch from the router, and a default route pointing to the modem from the router.  I have dhcp server configured on the swich and that hands out everything the way it's supposed to.  My instincts tell me it's not NATing the way it should but to my knowledge I think it's correct.

On the router I have - ip nat inside source interface fastEthernet 0/0 overload.  The interface in the command should be the one connected to the modem correct?  If that's right does anyone have any ideas what else I could be missing?  Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

ok so when pinging from host can you do sh ip nat translation  and see if there's a dynamic NAT translation going .

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you ping  8.8.8.8 from the router ? if not can you provide us the following output from the router:

show ip route static

Regards.

Alain

I can ping from the router.  That's why I feel like it's something missing in my router config it's I'm just not thinking of it.

Hi,

ok so when pinging from host can you do sh ip nat translation  and see if there's a dynamic NAT translation going .

Regards.

Alain

To clarify you mean when pinging the modem from the host right? If so it is my problem it's not showing any translations.  I also confirmed further before by defaulting the switchport and I can still get out fine with a 192.168 address rather than one from my 10 networks.  I'm guessing I have the wrong syntax then.

Hi,

not pinging the modem but pinging 8.8.8.8 from the PC.

Post the configs from your Cisco device and ipconfig/all  from host.

Regards.

Alain

Thanks nevermind when I saw the blank translations I realized I was missing 1 ACL entry I had one permitting traffic from the modem but forgot the entry permitting coming from the switch (LOL) since I hadn't decided on addressing yet last night.  Thanks for that though that helped me figure it out!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card