cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hosts in Campus Network Unreachable from WAN

Rob Cluett
Level 1
Level 1

I created a simple Campus Network with two hosts (lxc-2 and lxc-3) connected to the access layer switches. Each host is in it’s own vLAN (vLAN 11 and vLAN 12) and is mounted in Rack A. The distribution/core devices are layer 3 switches running OSPF.

I can ping the hosts from the Layer 3 distribution/core switch (i.e. CTvSWT01 and CTvSWT02) but cannot ping the hosts from the WAN (i.e. CTvRTR01 or CTvRTR02).  Any ideas why the anomaly exists or what I might be overlooking?

Attached is a network map and the access layer, distribution/core layer and WAN device configs.

- Rob

18 Replies 18

Rob Cluett
Level 1
Level 1

Something is not right with the LXC's and their traffic.

Not used VIRL before so don't really know what is happening with the hosts. 

Your diagram shows the hosts with two interfaces and separate IPs so can you shut one of them down on each host and retest. 

Unless I am misunderstanding how they are meant to be setup. 

Jon

Thanks for the response Jon. Yes there are two interfaces per LXC.  I had turned one down on each while testing.  Oddly if I run a continuous ping of the default-gateway (for VLAN 11 and VLAN 12) from each LXC it smooths things out and I can ping consistently into the hosts from the routed network.  Just odd and think it's an anomaly with Cisco VIRL.  I'm going to try and recreate the LXC's to see if that makes a difference.

Rob Cluett
Level 1
Level 1

I sat with this this afternoon after Jon found the issue with the subnet masks on the host.  I believe this is an issue within the context of Cisco VIRL.  It's either an HSRP issue or an issue with the virtual machines VIRL has that act as hosts.

I'm going to say it's safe to assume I have this configured correctly based on the response of Jon and Paul who had reviewed the configs.  Certainly frustrating and would pose to Cisco directly but I don't believe VIRL has a support pipeline.

Thanks again to Jon and Paul.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card