cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can switch port be disabled if the cable is disconnected?

adina35
Level 1
Level 1

I was working on a machine connected to Cisco Catalyst 3580 switch, and after several reboots, I was not able to reach my machine Cisco guy told me that the port is configured in a way that when the traffic is lost or cable is disconnected, the port is automatically down until admin sets it up manually and I understood from him that it is related to spanning-tree bpdu guard or something like this.

I later on tried to make the same config to secure some ports so that no one can remove a cable and connect his laptop to get access to network, tried to do the same previous config but didn't work as even if that ST bpdu guard setting is enabled, the ports gets up whenever the cable is connected.

Is it possible to apply such config? Is it related to that ST or something different or even extra configs on top of this bpdu thin g is required? Am I consulting the right community?

Thanks jn advance.

3 Replies 3

this can done via port-security, 
when someone disconect cable and connect new laptop with new MAC the port-secuirty down the port 
and you only can shut/no shut the port to UP the port again 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

until any special config is added to the port - like security stuff. if this is normal access port, that should come automatically up does not matter how many times you reboot the PC 

basic config of the port should be :

interface gig 1/x/x

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

spanning-tree portfast

if you have a different config post here the config of that port :

show run interface gig x/x

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@adina35 wrote:
 was working on a machine connected to Cisco Catalyst 3580 switch, and after several reboots, I was not able to reach my machine Cisco guy told me that the port is configured in a way that when the traffic is lost or cable is disconnected, the port is automatically down until admin sets it up manually and I understood from him that it is related to spanning-tree bpdu guard or something like this.

EEM can do this.

When the port goes into a down/down state, EEM will kick in and disable the port.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card