Views
Helpful
Replies

How check MAC address of switch I am logged in

Arijit007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a switch- Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-ENTSERVICES-M), Version 12.2(54)WO, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Now i need to check the MAC address of this switch but when ran show run it did not give me that output. 

Could you please help me here??

Thanks! 

5 Replies 5

Hello,

Try “show version”

It should be towards the bottom of the output with serial number.

-David

Hi

The switch will have multiple mac address. Which one you want to see? 

If you run "show mac address table" you are going to list all mac adress on the switch per interface connected .  And a lot of mac address in which port is CPU, which means mac adderss used by the switch for different porpuse.

Hi,

I wanted to see the mac address of the switch. Like other switches when we get 'Base ethernet MAC Address' when run show version command. For this type  Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software switch do we have like that or it's interface dependent??? 

As per my answer above you should be able to get it from the show version command. You may get multiple Mac addresses if you have several management modules in it for redundancy. Most typical switches that you talk about are probably 48 port access switches with an I termal management module that you get that base MAC address from. If you have physical access to the device it may have the MAC address on a sticker somewhere on the device.

-David

show spanning tree
this give you the SW mac address (bridge ID).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card