cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you properly seat an SFP adapter?

Mark Mattix
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry for such a noob question but I would love for someone to clarify...

On a fiber LC SFP adapter, there's a small arm on a hinge that turns up and down, what is that for? Are you supposed to have it in the down position, plug in the adapter then pull the arm up? Or is the arm only there to help you grip onto something to pull it out? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mark

From memory, and it is quite a while ago, you plug in the adapter while the arm is down and then you move the arm to the up position. This in effect pushes the adapter all the way into the switch port. When you need to remove it you pull the arm down and it pulls it out slightly so you can then remove the adapter.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To add Jon's post, it all depends on the model of your switch and the manufacturer of the SFP. 

Traditionally, it doesn't matter if the arm is down or up.  You insert the SFP and you are SUPPOSE TO HEAR a very soft "click", which means the lock (or claws) has engaged the slot of the port.

Now I have noticed that legacy 2960/2960G, 3560/3560G, 3750/3750G do not play right.  Whether you insert the SFP with the arm down or the arm up you will seldom hear the "click".  The only way to fully determine if the lock has "bitten" to the slot is to (arm up) is to pull the SFP. 

Just want to warn you about SFP with a plastic arm.  Just try not to use it.  The plastic arms become very brittle after prolong use.  When you want to remove the SFP, those plastic arms will break off and leaving your SFP stuck in the port.  You'll need a small flathead s_crew driver to push the lock underneath the SFP FORWARD before you can pull the SFP out. 

As of lately I have RMA-ed these infernal and confounded plastic arm SFP in excess of 80 pieces (used or even brand new).  No need to worry about the new DOM ones.  They come in with metal arm but the very minute I catch these SFP with plastic arms ...

Thank you for your informative response Leo! I will stay away from the plastic arms!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card