cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you stack a Catalyst 2960

mikemelo1369
Level 1
Level 1

How would I go about stacking 4 Cisco Catalyst 2960-48PST-L switches? The one switch needs to accept a fiber connection from a distribution switch.  Do I have to buy flexstack module and cables? If so where does the module go on the switch? If this switch cannot do this set up, can someone recommend another switch I should look at.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi!
You'd need at least 2960S series LAN base switches and you'd also have to purchase stack modules (2960S-STACK - 50cm cable included). There is a limit of 4 switches in a stack.
You can go also for a 3750/3750x switches. There is a limit of 9 switches in a stack.
J

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In order to "stack" them you would need to buy the 2960S  models .

Oh okay so like the Catalyst 2960S - 48LPS-L. do these switches come with the stack module or am I to purchase seperately?

With 3750X series, the stack cable comes with the switch.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike,

What is the exact part number of the switch?  If is is 2960 or 2960G, these don't support stacking.  If your have the newer 2960S, than they do support stacking.  If you have the first 2 models and still need staking, you need to purchase 2960S or 3750X.

Here is thr data sheet for the 3750X:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

HTH

Hi!
You'd need at least 2960S series LAN base switches and you'd also have to purchase stack modules (2960S-STACK - 50cm cable included). There is a limit of 4 switches in a stack.
You can go also for a 3750/3750x switches. There is a limit of 9 switches in a stack.
J

Awesome thank you for all the advise everyone. Going to go with the 2960 as I only need the 4 switches.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco