cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many power supplies does L3 SW 6506-E needs to operate?

patramirezort
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The company where I work uses as main switch a WS-C6506-E but is being working with one power supply but physically having two pwr supplies. During the past months the pwr supply has been sending a Fan alarm with a time affectation of 10ms:

!

*Oct 26 16:30:36.730: %C6KENV-SP-4-PSFANFAILED: the fan in power supply 1 has failed
*Oct 26 16:30:46.734: %C6KENV-SP-4-PSFANOK: the fan in power supply 1 is OK

!

By looking on the inventory I noticed that chassis recognizes only one Fan (from the active pwr supply) but none for the second pwr supply:

!

NAME: "WS-C6506-E-FAN 1", DESCR: "Enhanced 6-slot Fan Tray 1"
PID: WS-C6506-E-FAN , VID: V03, SN: 

NAME: "PS 1 WS-CAC-6000W", DESCR: "AC power supply, 6000 watt 1"
PID: WS-CAC-6000W , VID: V05, SN: 

NAME: "PS 2 WS-CAC-6000W", DESCR: "AC power supply, 6000 watt 2"
PID: WS-CAC-6000W , VID: V05, SN: 

!

In addition the active pwr supply display a pwr consumption of 2761 W (1100W less comparing with the 2nd PS):

#sh power status power-supply 1
PS Type Watts A @42V Status Status State
1 WS-CAC-6000W 2671.20 63.60 OK OK on

#sh power status power-supply 2
PS Type Watts A @42V Status Status State
2 WS-CAC-6000W 3780.00 90.00 - - off

I understand that a power supply replacement is needed, but meanwhile can please someone mentioned if I can use the 2nd pwr supply (without having the Fan hardware information) or should I wait for the pwr supply replacement?

What is the normal operations regarding with the power supply? It is normal to have only one active pwr supply?

(When I started working with this company the switch worked only with this pwr supply) 

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It appears that the switch works just fine with one 6000-W power supply and the second one is just for redundancy. So, I would RMA the second power supply and wait for a new one and then install it. The fan that has gone bad is integrated with power supply 2 and so, you just need to replace it with a new one.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It appears that the switch works just fine with one 6000-W power supply and the second one is just for redundancy. So, I would RMA the second power supply and wait for a new one and then install it. The fan that has gone bad is integrated with power supply 2 and so, you just need to replace it with a new one.

HTH

Thank you sir.

Good Luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card