cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many VLANs can i use with the Cisco 2911?

Tommy Svensson
Level 1
Level 1

As the title says.

How many VLANs can i use with the Cisco 2911 and is that per interface or for the whole router?

Regards Tommy Svensson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommy,

If you are talking about VLANs on routed interfaces (i.e. creating subinterfaces for individual VLANs) then the only limit is the total number of subinterfaces currently created and running on your router. This limit depends on the platform, IOS version and the available memory, and can be verified using the command show idb - each interface and subinterface consumes one Interface Descriptor Block (IDB) data structure. This command will tell you how many IDBs are supported on your platform and how many are currently in use. If, say, the number of IDBs is 500 then you can have at most 500 interfaces and subinterfaces created on your router, and it does not matter whether it is 250 VLANs (subinterfaces) under two different physical interfaces, or 500 subinterfaces under a single physical interface. The maximum number of IDBs is a platform-wide limit.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tommy Svensson
Level 1
Level 1

Is there someone who could shine som light on this matter? I really need to know and cant seem to find it anywhere in the documentation.

Regards Tommy Svensson

Tommy,

If you are talking about VLANs on routed interfaces (i.e. creating subinterfaces for individual VLANs) then the only limit is the total number of subinterfaces currently created and running on your router. This limit depends on the platform, IOS version and the available memory, and can be verified using the command show idb - each interface and subinterface consumes one Interface Descriptor Block (IDB) data structure. This command will tell you how many IDBs are supported on your platform and how many are currently in use. If, say, the number of IDBs is 500 then you can have at most 500 interfaces and subinterfaces created on your router, and it does not matter whether it is 250 VLANs (subinterfaces) under two different physical interfaces, or 500 subinterfaces under a single physical interface. The maximum number of IDBs is a platform-wide limit.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you! Much helpful.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card