cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How SFP+ Can Connect to X2?

pouria.esteki
Level 1
Level 1

i need to know about situation that i need connection between SFP+ with X2.

i have 4849 E-F and it just support SFP+ and in otherside i have 6509E and i can no find any Line Card with SFP+ Support and i should use 10G connection between them .

Please show me the way that i can connect this two device.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Pouria,

you can handle this by using optical fibers with appropriate termination ( physical connectors)

SFP+ requires LC connector, the X2 may require an SC connector.

Using two fibers with LC-SC terminations solve the issue.(LC connector on one fiber end, SC connector on the other fiber end)

The fiber type has to be appropriate to the type of optical transceivers you have on your devices (single mode or multi mode, the two sides must agree on this aspect)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank for your answer

are you sure i can connect them together by that way?and it will work as 10G?

do you have any sample part number for this kind of cable?

what do you think about OneXConvertor ?

i mean can i buy WS-X6708-10G-3CXL that has 8 port and then buy 8 OneXconvertor to convert X2 to SFP+?

Hello Pouria,

>> are you sure i can connect them together by that way?and it will work as 10G?

yes it works I have done this in the past. About the cable browse the catalog of your cable supplier LC/SC cables are available. They are not sold by Cisco.

>> i mean can i buy WS-X6708-10G-3CXL that has 8 port and then buy 8 OneXconvertor to convert X2 to SFP+?

I think it would be more expensive because you would put in each X2 port a OneXconvertor + 1 SFP+ transceiver then you could use LC/LC fiber instead of LC/SC.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

As Giuseppe noted, you only need the correct fiber patch cord.  So, SFP or SFP+ utilizes LC type connector and X2 utilizes SC type connector.  All you have to do is to get a patch cord with one side SC (6500) and one side LC (4849).

The patch cord does not care about the speed, you just need the correct optic on each side.  Also, if your optics are Single mode you need single mode patch cord.  If your optics are Multimode than you need Multimode patch cord.

http://www.stonewallcable.com/dept.asp?dept_id=8

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card