cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to backup an already expanded & Installed IOS ?

Nameless-IT
Level 1
Level 1

I have been searching for an answer for hours but no one seems to know.

You can find similar questions here :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/ios-backup-procedure-for-cisco-3850-12s-s/td-p/2980373

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/how-to-copy-c3850-ios-software-image-to-tftp/td-p/2907394

One Simple question

How to backup the IOS to external server ?

I'm not talking about IOS in bundle mode (.bin file). Every one can easily backup that by simple tftp commands.

I'm talking about IOS in installed mode that has been expanded to multiple .pkg files.

Is there no way to compress the multiple .pkg files back to a single .bin file for backup ?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hey!

I don't know of any way to compress the files on a Switch..
But in that secenario you would also need the file packages.conf, which describes which software is going to boot on newer Catalyst switches.

May I ask why you would want to backup those files? I don't see any need for this.

Best regards
Julian

I want to upgrade to a newer ios.
Need to backup the current ios in case something happens during or after
the upgrade and i want to rollback.

if you installing archive install, you can keep the exiting IOS and Upgrade, Once upgrade completed you can clean up

still you like to backupo, you can use TFTP to backup config and IOS.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for responding.

Still don't understand how to use tftp to backup the ios?
Should i backup all the .pkg files one by one then the .config file.

If that is the case. How do I restore using these files?

Another question. What do you mean by archive install? Please advise.

Personally i am not much worry about .pkg files, if you have access to Cisco softwre download, i download fresh copy and keep in USB or TFTP (i prefer USB ) each to fix the issue.

I will be more forcus on the target version upgrade (keep both the IOS in same USB fo handly to upgrade process)

make sure you backup configuraiton (out of the box good enough)

Note : make sure you read the release notes and understand the caveats.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Which switch do you have and from which Version to which Version are you going?

Usually I don't worry about that.

But IOS-XE has a cool feature supporting you on this.. a rollback function  

If you upgrade IOS-XE, without the "commit" keyword, there will be a rollback timer active after the upgrade, default is 2 hours..
If you don't issue "install commit" within those 2 hours, the switch rolls back to the previous software.

If you have any problems on the switch after it is upgraded and commited... the best option in my opinion is using a fresh .bin file of the old version and downgrade.

Let me know what you think.
BR
Juls

"If you upgrade IOS-XE, without the "commit" keyword, there will be a rollback timer active after the upgrade, default is 2 hours..
If you don't issue "install commit" within those 2 hours, the switch rolls back to the previous software"

You are talking about using install mode. Right ? Since booting directly from .bin doesn't support this feature.

Didn't know about this feature though. Very Helpful thank you.

"If you have any problems on the switch after it is upgraded and commited... the best option in my opinion is using a fresh .bin file of the old version and downgrade."

So basically it all comes to downloading the image from cisco site. but no way I can upload the already installed and running image to my tftp server.

greg mcbrady
Level 1
Level 1

Hi nameless-IT. Did you ever find an answer to your question? I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to backup the IOS package from a 3850 switch so I can install it on a spare switch. Since it's using "Install Mode" the bin file isn't visible. The IOS version I'm using is no longer available for download. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card