Views
Helpful
Replies

How to boot the router from another identical router

flexkikr11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if it is possible to boot the router from another router which are the same specs. I have two 1841s the first one works magnificent but the second one is giving me a lot of headache. Problems: 2-FEs ports ain't working, CF card slot is intermittent, chances are, you need to cool the router down for couple of hours or so to get it booted up from CF card otherwise it will stuck caught in a looping state boot or I don't know what is it called.

What I was trying to accomplish is connect each other via serial cable and setup ip addresses with /30 mask and then configure the faulty router in rommon to boot it from the other routers cf card slot.

Is it possible you reckon?

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

32 Replies 32

Hi Paul,

Sorry Paul, I can not help you! I think you have done all the possibilities to boot the router.

On cisco website for router 1800 rommon:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon_ps5853_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

There is no way to tftpdnld from WIC interface:

Restrictions

LAN  ports on network modules or interface cards are not active in ROM  monitor mode. Therefore, only a fixed port on your router can be used  for TFTP download. This can be a fixed Ethernet port on the router, that  is either of the two Gigabit Ethernet ports on Cisco routers with those  ports.

Even with xmodem from console, you need to write on flash and CF slot is damaged.

Best Regards,

Pedro Lereno

Hi Paul,

Don't forget the restrictions:  "LAN  ports on network modules or interface cards are not active in ROM  monitor mode"!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card