Views
Helpful
Replies

how to calculate switching capacity & forwarding rate

gthanigachalam
Level 1
Level 1

hi..

i need some clarification about switch specifications.

pls let me know, how to calculate switching capacity, forwarding rate, stacking bandwidth.

actually i saw cisco 3850-24t-s switch. it's having the following parameters.

switching capacity - 92 Gbps

stacking bandwidth - 480 Gbps

Forwarding rate  - 68.4 Mpps

and also tell me about switching fabric. what is the difference between switching capacity and swithing fabric, forwarding rate.

kindly share the correct answer to me as soon as possible.

advance thank you for everyone..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The calculation is the same to provide for "wire-speed/line-rate" performance, but actual performance numbers either need to be obtained from the vendor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gthanigachalam
Level 1
Level 1

hi... anyone... pls help me for above text...

i am waiting for your valuable reply..

thank you..

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Switching capacity generally documents the interior bandwidth capacity between ports.  On Cisco switches, to avoid queuing any port to port traffic, for full duplex ports, you need twice the port bandwidth capacity.  So, 92 Gbps, supports 46 Gbps (duplex).

Forwarding rate is the capacity to forward frames.  Minimal size Ethernet requires 1.488 Mpps per gig.  68.4 Mpps (if rated for minimum size - most modern rates are for minimum size) would support about 46 Gbps (notice about the same as the switch's bandwidth capacity).

Stacking bandwidth is bandwidth supported within the whole stack or between a stack pair.  How vendors "count" this varies.  I believe Cisco totals the pair of stack ports, counting their duplex bandwidth.  I.e., I think each stack ports is equal to an Ethernet port of 120 Gbps (duplex).

hi joseph, thanks for your reply.

i understood. let me know, is there any calculation to obtain these values for every one cisco switches.

because this value will varying to each one model.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The calculation is the same to provide for "wire-speed/line-rate" performance, but actual performance numbers either need to be obtained from the vendor.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card