Views
Helpful
Replies

How to choose L3 dist, access switch?

TM13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Our network is growing so i need to extend the network, right now we use 3560G-24 switch to connect all switches and servers, and it is connected to gateway router. I need to connect more 15 servers and 5 switches so i thinking about put 3560G-48 or connect 3400 switches to the main 3560G-24 and connect all switches to 3400 and connect all servers to another 3400?! or just divide 2 stacks and 2960S stack for swicthes and servers. Any solution and opinion?

Attached diagram below.

5 Replies 5

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tugabat,

I pefer your second option, so the best option it's use stackwise to create one logical switch with multiple physical switches, so you don't have these hardware.

it's more similar to "good desing" Core (your L3), Distribution ( your 3400) and access the res of the switches.

Regards,

Mauricio

Hi Cusine.

Thanks for the reply, but have you ever tried 3400 serie switches? i am just wondering stability, how matured it and how much is it?

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

I would say that you should go with the 3750x series or atleast the 3560x series.

why the 3750x ? stacking! both powerstacking and datastacking.

the powerstacking is a very nice feature ! and the datastacking gets you loads of speed.

and well if you buy the x series then you have the limitedlifetimewarranty.. that is not a bad option.

The me3400 (wich is the ones I am guessing you are looking at) is not for you. they are for fx ISP and so on.

the metro ethernet access does have some differences than your average cisco 3560 switches and will not sit well with your normal lan configuration.

and well to get gig you would need to get the 12port version, ie the me3400 is not an option for you.

so well how do you want this ? and how big is it ?

we are missing alot of information such as do you have internet access and so on.

where is the backup going ? (to another building, city, country , far far away.. )

how far between switches and so on..

How much data is generated ?

will the chokepoint of 1gig be enough in the L3 to send data between the different vlans/l3 ?

As a general point I would setup a l3 device in the middle to cope with most of the traffic.

and separate on l3.

Dependin on how big/much the backups are I would setup a special network just for backups.

(backups can realy consume bandwith depending on how they are done)

and I would set the network up something similar to the first picture you have.

but do not forget about the network flows, ie how is the information going to flow so that you do not end up with huge boittlenecks somewhere.

as a general rule I would buy the same type of equipment, the fewer models the better,

if one or several breaks down in the core then it is possible to replace it with units from the edge if they are all the same model and license.

less testing of different softwares and so on..

and always get atleast one spare.

Also i see no firewalls in here, if you have access outwards its just prudent to setup firewalls.

Good luck

Hope this helps..

I completely agree with hobbe.

Few switch models, stacking, and don't forget to sum up how much throughput the aggregation switch should have and check the datasheets. 3750G will be a good asset to your network.

TM13
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering if im gonna put 3750x to next router, what is the difference of 3560-48 or 3750-48 except that powerexcepting and dataexcepting?!

Because im gonna put only 1 switch, then connect 2960S to that switch.

Best way is 3560X-48 and connect 2960S and connect all servers to 2960S?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card