Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

How to configure " Management VLAN "

Dear All,

I have configured VLAN 2 as a Native Vlan. Now I want to configure VLAN 3 as a Management Vlan.

I have read from one article that we can configure Management Vlan by a command "management-vlan vlan-id". I tried this command on my cisco 2950 & 2960 Switches, but was not able to find.

I have read on the forums as well that how to configure the Management Vlan, I found that by assigning only the ip address to VLAN 3, we can configure Management Vlan.

I am too much confused about it that how to configure the Management Vlan.

Please guide me the exact way to configure the Management Vlan.

4 REPLIES 4
Advisor

Re: How to configure " Management VLAN "

Management vlan is nothing special its just the vlan you determine that you want to use on your switches .  Just trunk the vlan  you want to use down to your access swsitches and assign a ip address and the default gateway in that vlan .  I have never seen that command that you mentioned and older switches like a 2950 would not have it .

Engager

Hi,

A sample would simply be like this:

Switch(config)#int vl3

Switch(config-if)#ip add 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

It would be helpful if you assign your switches on the same subnet for consistency and for troubleshooting ease.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Beginner

Hi,

I did the configuration according to the Mr glen.grant reply....... below is the configuration.

Switch(config)#vlan 3

Switch(config)#int fa 0/3

Switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan3

Switch(config)# int fa 0/3

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

Switch(config)# int vlan 3

Switch(config-vlan)#ip add 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.192

Switch(config)# ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

I think, I did the right configuration ? But you can guide me wherever you feel, I did anything wrong or missing.

Thanks............. for all of you for your help..................

Message was edited by: NAVEED ANWER

Highlighted
Beginner

This is an old thread but I had the same problem but found the solution. First my switch was running IOS 12.4. My management vlan that I wanted to always be up was vlan 2. I do NOT have any ports in vlan 2 but I needed to be able to reach this SVI at all times. I made sure my trunk port was set to allow vlan 2 as well as all the other vlans I needed.

Switch# Conf t
Switch(config)# int vlan 2
Switch(config-if)# ip add ###.###.###.### 255.255.255.0
Switch(config-if)# exit
Switch(config)# vlan 2
Switch(config-vlan)# state active
Switch(config-vlan)# end
Switch# wr mem

That set the VLAN to always be active and brought the SVI with the IP address I assigned to an up/up state.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards