cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to configure the SFP ports

oliver
Level 1
Level 1

How i can  configure the SFP Ports on my 4500 SERIES CHASSIS with other SFP ports on the connecting switch. I want to connect 15 switches via GLC=SX=MM to my 4506E sfp card. Please i need help.

4 Replies 4

mrSS
Level 1
Level 1

two possible ways...you can configure them as a l3 link or a l2 link....

@

thanks a lot for replying. I really appreciate that but how it will look like  i mean it will automatically detect by the switch or i have to make it active because i am depending on all my SFP connections. can i make them trunk or no swictch port for InterVlan routing. Like normaly we do,

# int ge0/0

#switch port mode ?

Awaiting your reply

Hi Oliver,

You have to configure interfaces for the kind of connection you want them to be. By default they will only have "no ip address" configuration. E.g. trunk interface:

Switch(config)# interface fastethernet 2/1 

Switch(config-if)# shutdown 

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode dynamic desirable 

Switch(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q 

Switch(config-if)# no shutdown 

Switch(config-if)# end 

Here is the guide for configuring L2 interfaces (including decription of modes - "switchport mode ..."):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/44sg/configuration/guide/layer2.html#wp1020498

If you want to make interface a L3 one, you have to enable routing globally ("ip routing"), configure "no switchport" on it and set up ip address:

Switch(config)# ip routing

Switch(config)# interface fastethernet 2/1

Switch(config-if)# no switchport

Switch(config-if)# ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.248

Switch(config-if)# no shutdown

Switch(config-if)# end

Switch#

Here is the guide with more details on it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/44sg/configuration/guide/l3_int.html#wp1029778

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card