Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect to CISCO SG300 Switch via Putty (Remote) & Recover Password

NordMoleX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

i am really sorry to bother you with, i suppose for most people here, something so simple, considering i am really not good with these things. So please forgive me. ;)

For a year now I have the SG-300 Switch, not that I really needed such a more sophisticated device for my use here, but hey, I got it cheap and I didnt like the cheap Switches I had seen at the time. So I thought, lets go with some good instead.

Anyways, I got it setup for my use here through the Web Admin Panel and all was fine. I never used or needed to use the Com Port to remote manage the Switch before, so I never did that before to be honest. Problem is, now I dont remember for some reason the right password anymore, its just gone. So I wanted to recover the Password.

I looked at a few tutorials here and on Google/Youtube, how to connect with Putty to the Switch. But that doesnt even work. I am using a USB to Serial Adapter (FTDI) and a Nullmodem cable, Systems I tried both, Windows 10 and MacOS. As for the Adapter and stuff, that seems to work, drivers etc. But when I try to connect to the Switch, no matter if its on MacOS or Windows 10, the putty just gets stuck or at least doesnt go through with the connection. Its not giving me an error, telling me that it wont work, it just doesnt really connect and follows through. 

Not to mention that I havent even figured out how to do the Password Recovery, but one step at the time. First I have to be able to connect at all (although I cant login, obviously, since I need to recover the Password).

Any help is appreciated.

I already tried whats in that article:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-switches/access-the-cli-via-putty-using-a-console-connection-on-300-and/ta-p/3147983?attachment-id=93358

Didnt change anything. What am I doing wrong ? Everyone of you, that maybe had/has the same Switch and has done these steps before, I would be really thankful if you could help me here.

Thank you in advance.

NMx

4 Replies 4

Krash Mole
Level 1
Level 1

Hey NordMolex,

Make sure that you have installed the drivers for your USB to serial cable.

After that, go to device manager to confirm your COM Number, and use your port Number not COM1 as in the manual.

Thank you for your reply.

Its COM5 in my case. And I already tried that, with MacOS and in Windows 10. Both are kinda doing the same thing when I try to connect, its kinda stuck on the Connect. Drivers seem to be alright for both, MacOS and Windows 10. So that USB Serial Adapter is working and recognized.

Just doesnt get me anywhere. The Connect is not getting through, or at least I dont see anything coming up that would indicate that it does.

Hey,  have you checked your serial com setting in putty and  have you  tried a different blue cable?

ryeisenman
Level 1
Level 1

Had same problem but now am connected. A key point seemed to be that I needed to cycle the switch power. Also, I am using an older computer that has a D9 serial port and I did not have the original Cisco cable. I wired a D9 cable straight through (not as null modem cable). Am running win 7 and using Putty with serial connections set (to 115200 / 8databits/noparity/1 stopbit/noflow). Another point: one can, apparently, get to the cisco SG300 web interface with the default address (192.168.1.254) but only if the switch is NOT connected to a LAN having another DHCP server. Because the SG300 default configuration will pick up whatever address is assigned by that DHCP server. No doubt one can login to that DHCP server and find the new SG300 IP address which maps to the SG300's mac address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card