cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to force tagged traffic to physically leave the switch for later re-entry and keep tags ?

janrovner1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a simple problem that I don't know how to solve. I have a switch interconnecting several VLANs (the traffic is tagged only) and I would like to create something like a virtual/separate/sub-switch(es) (call it as you want) inside this switch, because I need to force the switch to physically leave the traffic on some port and later, after going a L2 filter/shaper device, to re-enter it back on a different port.

I have created a simple image for illustration (see attachment), there are two networks (generating tagged traffic) (with MACs X, Y) physically connected to ports 1 and 4 that need "interconnect via ports 2 and 3" - going through an external device.

Of course, if there were not VLAN tags in the traffic, I would setup just two separate VLANs (port 1+2 and port 3+4, both with access ports), however, the traffic is tagged and the tags must be preserved.

Ports:

network X:1  /  2 <==external device-or cable==> 3  /  4 - network Y

I'd be appreciated for any ideas.

Sincerely,

Jan

4 Replies 4

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Jan,

What type of switch do you have?  This looks just like the kind of job vlan mapping is good at, but not all switches support it...

Hello,

it is Catalyst 3750x... Could you please give me an info about this feature?

Thank you!

Jan

You would have something like the following (with the L2 filtering / shaping device "shorting" gi1/1 and gi1/2):

interface gi1/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 11,22

switchport vlan mapping 100 11

switchport vlan mapping 200 22

interface gi1/2

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,200

Basically this means that tagged traffic coming into gi1/1 has tag 100 replaced with tag 11 before being processed, and tagged traffic leaving gi1/1 has tag 11 replaced with tag 100 just before being put on the wire.

We're using this scenario with Cisco SCE devices - unfortunately, the CAT3K line doesn't support vlan mapping (or vlan translation).

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jan,

What kind of switch are you using? If it is a 3560 or higher, there's a chance that it supports Q-in-Q tunneling which could, at least in theory, help you accomplish what you need.

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card