Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get into the switch: prompt without the Mode button

Hi,

I  have found that the Catalyst 2955 series switches do not use an external MODE button for getting a switch into the  switch:  prompt,

but they use a break sequence like routers do to get into Rommon state

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

So I was wondering if there is a similar mecanism that applies to other kind of Catalyst switches, like 2960, 3560 or 3750.

Kind Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure it can be done.  But WHY do you want to do that?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For all the other once including 3560s and 3750s you need to use the external mode button.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure it can be done.  But WHY do you want to do that?

Hi Leolahoo,

Thanks for your early response. The aim of this is to perform password recovery offsite, as this would save me from going to a remote site on a regular basis for password recovery issues, as the whole process could be done remotely.

Best Regards,

The aim of this is to perform password recovery offsite, as this would save me from going to a remote site on a regular basis for password recovery issues, as the whole process could be done remotely.

No you can't.

Answer this:  If you want to perform a REMOTE password recovery, HOW do you expect to telnet into the appliance?

The only way is to connect the console cable to a client and you RDP into the client.   Is this how you plan to do things?

Hi Leolahoo,

That's just what I was thinking of. This way you may perform password recovery on routers by using a break key sequence to get into rommon mode. And I was wondering if there would be a similar procedure for switches, taking into account that if the Catalyst 2955 series switch does, it might be possible in other models.

Kind Regards,

And I was wondering if there would be a similar procedure for switches, taking into account that if the Catalyst 2955 series switch does, it might be possible in other models.

You can BUT you need someone to do some actions for you.

You need someone to position the switch properly so the mode button is depressed ALL THE TIME.  Next, you need a client which you can attach a console cable to.  You need to RDP into the client to perform the password recovery. 

Hi Leolaohoo,

I was thinking about the RDP thing to get into the switch. But I have never thought of holding down the mode button all the time.

I have 2 quick questions about it:

1. Does a switch work properly with the mode button pressed? I mean, do all commands work properly?

2. How do you get into the switch: prompt if you never release the mode button?

Kind Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card