cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How To Get Solar Winds To Monitor SPAN port

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

Our primary Solar Winds engineer is trying to configure Solar Winds to monitor the status of a SPAN port on a switch. The port, of course, is in up/down (mirroring) state. Because of this Solar Winds sees the port as down. Since this traffic is destined to an IDS that we don't manage we need to be able to monitor the status of this SPAN port. Any thoughts?

TIA,

Chuck McFadden

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you don't want to make the port UP/UP (you could create a PACL and actually deny all ingress traffic anyways), look here for the SPAN MIB's, see if you can find it:

http://www.mibdepot.com/cgi-bin/getmib3.cgi?win=mib_a&i=1&n=CISCO-FC-SPAN-MIB&r=cisco&f=CISCO-FC-SPAN-MIB.my&v=v2&t=tree

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

When you configure the SPAN destination, at the end, do you have the "ingress" or "learning" options available?

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

The destination config is as follows:

monitor session 23 destination interface Gi1/0/23 encapsulation replicate

ingress is an option.

Thank you!

Chuck McFadden

For clarity, ingress is an option however I don't want to receive incoming traffic on my monitor session destination port. The device connected to the monitor session is an IDS and should only receive traffic.

Thanks again,

Chuck McFadden

Hi,

If you don't want to make the port UP/UP (you could create a PACL and actually deny all ingress traffic anyways), look here for the SPAN MIB's, see if you can find it:

http://www.mibdepot.com/cgi-bin/getmib3.cgi?win=mib_a&i=1&n=CISCO-FC-SPAN-MIB&r=cisco&f=CISCO-FC-SPAN-MIB.my&v=v2&t=tree

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thank you!!

I created a PACL denying inbound and turned ingress on for the local span. Works perfectly, thank you for your help!

Chuck McFadden

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card