Replies

How to get Windows Server 2008R2 to pickup NTP from the Cisco GW

Hi all,

I have configured my 1841 to pickup ntp service as below:

scheduler allocate 20000 1000

ntp clock-period 17178609

ntp update-calendar

ntp server 130.88.200.4

and my switch to set the time locally from the above router on its Fa0/0 port as below:

ntp clock-period 17179885

ntp server 192.168.2.1

end

All the above is working as should be...

But i cant get my windows 2008R2 server to pickup the time from the GW Router (above) on the 192.168.2.1 IP, is there anthing that i need to do on the router to enable this? i have tried setting ntp broadcast on the fa0/0 port on the router but again the sever couldnt pick any time details up. Im not sure if this is possible, as i haven't seen this setup in any production enviroments!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've remembered recently that this cannot be achieved as there's some "mis-communication" between Cisco IOS and Windows OS regarding NTP/SNTP.

In my humble opinion, if I may, nominate one (or two) servers to go across the internet to synchronize on an authorized stratum 1 or 2 server and let the rest of your severs synchronize with this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've remembered recently that this cannot be achieved as there's some "mis-communication" between Cisco IOS and Windows OS regarding NTP/SNTP.

In my humble opinion, if I may, nominate one (or two) servers to go across the internet to synchronize on an authorized stratum 1 or 2 server and let the rest of your severs synchronize with this.

Thanks for the reply Leo,

I thought as mutch! I have my servers set to sync with a stratum 1 at the moment.

Do you happen to know if  Linux distros can NTP sync with Cisco devices?

Do you happen to know if  Linux distros can NTP sync with Cisco devices? 

I must say I haven't tried this out.  I have a niggling suspicion it may work.  Just ensure you have both NTP and SNTP settings turned on and get Linux ntpdaemon enabled.

Thanks for the update Eugen, This is how i currently have my servers setup.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card