Views
Helpful
Replies

how to install c6800-sup6t-xl on 6509-e

rtslan
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys

i have problem with new c6800-sup6t-xl. i installed the sup on 6509-e but when power on the switch, but all LEDs indicate red color and i got error by LEDs. when i connect console to the switch no message show. i know that, the sup is compatible with 6509-e.

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Why do you conclude this supervisor would be compatible with a lower ranged platform (6509-e) ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

hi man

according to cisco c6800-sup6t data sheet, this sup is compatible with 6509-e. but i could not find any procedure to run this sup on cisco 6509-e.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@rtslan wrote:

red color and i got error by LEDs

What error message or if the LED is red, then what section is it showing "red"?  

hi man

i mean red color led indicates error message. this pic show you.

6509-e.jpg

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure the compatability there but you need also considering check (*)

* SW Support for the Sup6T on the 6500-E chassis will be available in 2H 2016 and will not be available at FCS.

Steps to follow : (led the chasis ON with Power)

connect the console cable and remove the module and re-insert and capture logs from the begining.

post the picture of RED LED one to have a look where you getting error.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

- Ok , but I don't see any mentioning of that particular supervisor card in :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/69583-ptn.html#topic1

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

hi man

i did your recommendation. but i didn't find any reaction from switch or sup on console and the error is one led become red color. i upload pic 

" SW Support for the Sup6T on the 6500-E chassis will be available in 2H 2016 and will not be available at FCS." what does it mean?

Power down the chassis.
Eject all line cards except the Sup6T.
Connect a console cable and log the console output.
Power up the chassis.
Post the output to the console because we cannot guess what the Sup6T is/isn't doing.

Forget it.  The first LED to the left is "Status".  If that one is red, that means the supervisor card has suffered a terrific failure.  There is nothing left to do but to contact Cisco TAC and organize an RMA.

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

rtslan,

What version of software is on the Supervisor 6T ?

Please verify the Sup6T + 6509-E combination is supported by checking the release notes for your release at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/products-release-notes-list.html .

Cheers,
Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card