Views
Helpful
Replies

HOW TO INTEGRATE UC540 IN THE EXISTING LAN

Bienvenu Ngala
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a study Lab environment  with a cisco ASA5510 facing the internet, the ASA is directly connected to a c3560G PoE which serve as the main switch of my LAN. I would like to integrate a UC540 device to serve my internal clients for calls etc...

My question are these:

1. How can I configure the connection between the UC540 and the c3560G switch (e.g. Trunk port)

2. Where can I place the UC540, if it will need an internet connection

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Ben

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can configure the port connecting to UC540 as trunk if you have more than one vlan on it.  If you are going to have only one vlan than you can configure it as access port.  As for your second question, since the server is connecting to the same switch you can put it in a different vlan than your users.

HTH

View solution in original post

below is the config to create a trunk between the UC540 and the switch. Unless there is a reason to put the "data" vlan on the UC540 then i wouldn't add it just to keep everything simple. Also, it's best practice not to use VLAN 1 for 'production' traffic although it will work fine if you do, especially in a lab. 

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2181837&seqNum=11

===================

On the UC540

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.1
 description ***DATA***
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.0.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.100
 description ***VOICE****
 encapsulation dot1Q 100
 ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0

=======================================

on the switch

interface gig0/0
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport nonegotiate

================

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can configure the port connecting to UC540 as trunk if you have more than one vlan on it.  If you are going to have only one vlan than you can configure it as access port.  As for your second question, since the server is connecting to the same switch you can put it in a different vlan than your users.

HTH

Hi,

Yes, I have 2 vlans on the UC540 which are VLAN 1 (default) for Data and VLAN 100 for Voice. I would much appreciate to have a link guiding me to configure the trunk port between the UC540 and the switch.

On my internal LAN I have 5 VLANs including VLAN 20 for my clients (Windows 7-10) it is good idea to delete Vlan1 (Data) on the UC540 and create Vlan 20 to match my internal clients?

Regards,

Ben

below is the config to create a trunk between the UC540 and the switch. Unless there is a reason to put the "data" vlan on the UC540 then i wouldn't add it just to keep everything simple. Also, it's best practice not to use VLAN 1 for 'production' traffic although it will work fine if you do, especially in a lab. 

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2181837&seqNum=11

===================

On the UC540

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.1
 description ***DATA***
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.0.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.100
 description ***VOICE****
 encapsulation dot1Q 100
 ip address y.y.y.y 255.255.255.0

=======================================

on the switch

interface gig0/0
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport nonegotiate

================

Many thanks,

It is working now but I am still not able to Telnet or SSH to the UC540 from inside the LAN. Please what shall I unable on the device to allow remote connection.

Regards,

Ben

Hi,

Correct, I would use a different vlan and not use vlan1 at all.

As for UC540 configuration, I am not familiar with that but here is a document that maybe helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/36391/uc540-tel-4-sip-trunk-configuration

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: