cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove extra comment "!" line

Brian Raaen
Level 1
Level 1

I've got three identical 3845 routers all running "Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)".  The routers are a redundant cluster.  Other than hostnames, license PIDS and native ip's the configs should be identical however the primary/first one has an extra "!" between the last cryptomap and first interface.  This router has 7 lines of "!" and the other two have 6 lines of "!".  I have tried removing and adding back the first interface but it makes no difference.  Is there any way to normalize the configs so that my unix diffs will stop flagging those lines?

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not know of anything that you can do to change the formatting of the output of show run to influence the number of ! that are inserted. I would ask if you are very sure that they are running the exact same version of code? If it were really exactly the same code it is highly unusual that the output formatting is different. Perhaps posting the line out of show version of all three that gives the file name of the image that it is running might give us a clue to the nature of this issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

GW1#show version | include System image
System image file is "flash:c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin"

GW2#show version | include image

GW-STBY#show version | include image

Here is a santized copy of the lines

GW1

crypto map IPSEC xx ipsec-isakmp
 description xxxxx
 set peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
 set transform-set IPSEC
 match address xxxxxxx
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Tunnelxxx

the others

crypto map IPSEC xx ipsec-isakmp
 description xxxxx
 set peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
 set transform-set IPSEC
 match address xxxxxxx
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface Tunnelxxx

Thanks for the additional information. The file names sure do look like they are the same image. Would you also post the output of show flash | include c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

GW1#show flash | include c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin
1     70584556 Jul 22 2013 15:00:06 -04:00 c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin

GW2#show flash | include c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin
2     70584556 Jul 22 2013 15:00:06 -04:00 c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin

GW-STBY#show flash | include c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin
1     70584556 May 4 2015 14:47:56 -04:00 c3845-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M6.bin

Thank you for the information that I asked for. It sure does match up with same file name and exactly same file size. So I am puzzled why the formatting of the output in show run is slightly different in one router. I am not aware of anything that you can do to control the output formatting (and if anyone else in the forum knows of something then please jump in with suggestions).

There are two things that I can think of that you might try.

1) It is a bit extreme, but if it is important to deal with the formatting you might copy the image from one of the pair that agree and replace the image on the third router with the image copied from the pair. Since I believe that the formatting of the output is built into the image I think this should resolve the formatting. If it continues to format differently then either there is some slight difference in the config (which from what you say is not likely) or there is some difference in the operating environment.

2) If the router is covered under a maintenance contract then you could open a case with Cisco TAC and ask them to figure out what is causing this and how to fix it.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

Can you compare the "show inventory" on each device?

-Jameson

-Jameson

is there any difference from the file size of the config.text file?

if so....

why not export the config.text file from a router config you like, edit it to what you need (hostname, IP addresses, etc), import it to the router you're having the issue with and boot the new config.text file??

seems like a pretty straight forward fix if just another spacer line is flagging errors.

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Brian,

Cisco adds configuration settings to different configurations automatically to account for automation - I use the command "show derived config" to see the hidden parameters.

Not sure it this will help but give it a try and see!!

Frank

I attempted that and got the same results as the show runn.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card