cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to replace bad sup in 4500 VSS cluster

Nathan Spitzer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Supervisor 7-E on its way to replace a bad one in a 4500 VSS cluster that handles my executive row and I've just realized I only have the foggiest idea what config is required to make it join the VSS cluster.

I've looked and not found anything on point. Does anyone have a quick cheat sheet on how to do this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Nathan,

I actually just wrote a similar doc for the 4500X VSS.  You might want to review it, as it will follow many of the same practices. 

Catalyst 4500 Series Switch VSS Member Replacement Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/117640-configure-vss-00.html

Hope that helps

Luke

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Nathan,

I actually just wrote a similar doc for the 4500X VSS.  You might want to review it, as it will follow many of the same practices. 

Catalyst 4500 Series Switch VSS Member Replacement Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/117640-configure-vss-00.html

Hope that helps

Luke

I actually was able to read between the lines of some different docs and came to the exact same conclusion. There is one BIG caveat that is not mentioned in your document and that is licensing.

• First, Cisco TAC is totally ill-equipped to understand how VSS affects commands output on the 4500 and was little to no help in the process. I figured out the other issues below on my own and basically told them what I needed
  • The RMA'd unit will not have the correct license on it, it will only have LAN base which does not support VSS
  • 4500's are licensed per chassis, not per supervisor HOWEVER the supervisor(s) are where the license resides (on 4500 sup7/8)
  • The "show license udi" and "license install <location>" command only run on the active supervisor. There is NO WAY that I could find to update the license on the inactive supervisor. If you replace a chassis or supervisor and add it to the VSS cluster before doing licensing, you will have to reboot the current active chassis before putting the correct license on it
  • You are FAR better off getting the licensing straight before adding an RMA replacement supervisor/chassis added to the VSS cluster then after.

Nathan.

Thanks for the feedback and I will actually revisit the doc and update the licensing info.  

lp

ahmed.gadi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nathan,

Did you replace SUP7-E successfully ?

I have 4503-E and SUP7-E and secondary SUP went faulty and will replace tomorrow. Can you share any document or your findings ?

Regards

Ahmed...

Are you talking about a VSS cluster of two 4503's, each with one supervisor or a single 4503 with dual sups?

This document covers licensing for the 4500 with Section 4 covering most of the scenerio's you need. Luke's document posted to this thread last week pretty much covers the entire process for VSS with one exception: After step 5 but before step 6, when the new unit is still standalone mode ensure the licensing is properly installed on the new Sup. Provide the output of "Show License UDI" to your TAC  engineer and request a copy of the license file for that chassis. Once you have the license file install it as per the directions in the licensing document and then proceed to step 6.

Many thanks Nathan.

I replaced according to the document you provided. Worked perfectly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card