cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to route between Subinterfaces and standard interfaces on the same router???

christophermann
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder if any body could help me out, i currently have a voice lab set up with a couple of ip phones, an old 2950 switch with a couple of VLANS set up (Vlan10 for Voice and Vlan 50 for data)

this is connected via its fa0/9 (set as a trunk port) to a Cisco 2801 via some subinterfaces (fa0/1/10 for vlan 10 and fa0/1.50 for data intervlan routing).

on the same router i have some DHCP Pools set up for voice and data. (these both have the option 150 set for the ip address of my CUCM Publisher)

Connected to the same routeron fa0/0 is my CUCM Publisher.

The problem i have is that the phones both hang at 'Configuring CM List'. This is becuase the phones are recieving the correct ip address's and are requesting thier configurations from the CUCM Publisher but are unable to connect to the CUCM Publisher.

From the switch i am able to ping all the interfaces on the router, even the interface outside of the subinterfaces, that connects to my publisher, but i am unable to ping the publisher address itself......There lies the problem.

How do i route between the subinterfaces and the interface for the CUCM Publisher????

I thought, possibly in my ignorance that as they are all direcetly connected that the router should take care of this in its routing table.

Any help would be greatly recieved as this has had me stumped for several weeks (((

Kind regards

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you check default gateway is given on CUCM and also its in correct vlan.

Jawad

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Probably you CUCM is not aware how to send packets back to a source of packet. You need to add static routes to Data and Voice, Management VLAN subnets pointing to neighbor router that is doing routing.
Something like

ip route 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1
ip route 192.168.50.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Best regards,
Abzal

Thanks for taking the time to reply, however my CUCM is located on a VM machine.

the only router in the lab is the 2801, this is acting as the DHCP and the router on a stick

Chris

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Ok, I see.
Then check if you coinfigured correctly default gateway IP address, subnet and subnet mask on CUCM network interface. And it must be on the same subnet with router's interface connected to it.

Best regards,
Abzal

thanks again..

i can confirm that the CUCM is concected via the pc NIC card and is on the same subnet as the Routers facing interface. i can ping the CUCM from the router with no issues

Chris

Made a bit of progress. I re checked the physical NIC in the machine thats running CUCM and noticed that there was no Default Gateway allocated. I have added the details of the Default Gateway to that NIC (The ip address of the 2801 facing CUCM) and now i can ping from the switch to the physical interface of the CUCM box.

I will configure the default gateway on CUCM tonight (means changing the DHCP settings to NONE so that i can enter an ip address for the Gateway) and report back.

i have tried changing the Gateway from the limited CLI in CUCM but i recieve an error message (Cant remember the text)

Chris

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

One more test:

Are you able to ping from CUCM router's subinterfaces?
If no then there is no default gateway configured on CUCM.

Best regards,
Abzal

thanks again,

from CUCM OS Admin i can ping the routers interface with no problems., however i am unable to ping the subinterfaces address....here lies the problem.

Chris

Have you check default gateway is given on CUCM and also its in correct vlan.

Jawad

Can you please post your config on here.

Thank you all for posting your replies.

I have managed to resolve my issue at long last, and a bit of a simple one at that.

As mentioned previously i noticed that the physical NIC on my CUCM box did not have a default gateway entry, hence why it could not send a reply back to the icmp messages.

I manually entered this on the physical NIC, and now my phones now pick up the correct vlans and register with call manager first time.

Again thank you all for your assistance, many brains are better than one!!!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card