Views
Helpful
Replies

HOW TO SEND BREAK TO CISCO ME-3600X SWITCH

Ejiroro oki
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please I will be glade if someone can help me with the above issue,I have been on cisco website and google but no joy,I have the above unit which  I want to default,it boot to cli and continue to pop up this message below

*Feb 27 11:04:15.815: %PNP-6-HTTP_CONNECTING: PnP Discovery trying to connect to
PnP server https://devicehelper.cisco.com/pnp/HELLO
*Feb 27 11:04:53.815: %PNP-6-HTTP_CONNECTING: PnP Discovery trying to connect to
PnP server https://devicehelper.cisco.com/pnp/HELLO

As a result I am unable to access the cli,so I thought I should default it to clear it of any config as it is a new switch that we just acquired.I power on the unit to default it and once I see the below message as stated on cisco websit, I issue the break command (ctrl+b or ctrl+c)but it will not accept it and when I allowed to boot,I am unable to access cli

*** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds ***
Send break character to prevent autobooting.

From my understanding,it is trying to connect to a specific server which not available and I was expecting it to stop after a while but it continue popping up this messages as a result I am unable to access the cli.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

5 Replies 5

Hi 

If you want to go rommon and reset the config or reset password:

Power off the switch, power on again and try with control + break  or  control + pause.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/12-2_52_ey/configuration/guide/3800x3600xscg/swtrbl.html#pgfId-1021182

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,

Thanks for your quick response to my mail,very kind of you,I tried your instruction but it did not work but I appreciate your time and help.

I do not know if it is because of the version of the ios as I tried ctrl+break on a similar unit and it work but it did not work on this particular unit,so we have decided to return the unit.

cmcclinton
Level 4
Level 4

Sending the break sequence isn't as obvious as it used to be when a dedicated break was commonly found on keyboards. So how you do this can now vary from laptop to laptop.

If it is the act of sending the break sequence you are struggling with and you have a Dell or Lenovo try one of these combinations;

Dell

CTRL + Fn + Pause

Lenovo

CTRL + Fn + B

Hi Cmcclinton,

Thanks for your quick response,greatly appreciated, I have decided to return the unit to the supplier ,other similar unit work with the ctrl+Break key except this particular one.

Many thanks.

Vincent5
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem, I send brake command didn't work on any of these 20 ME switches I had.

Tested different terminals (Putty, Tera Term, MInicom).

But I found out that the problem was my serial cable. I changed to a Cisco orginal blue serial cable and it worked.

1. Tera Term

2. Wait for "*** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds ***"

3. Press Control > Send Break

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card