Views
Helpful
Replies

how to shift configuration mode to user mode in cisco switch

nnn_sss22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Plz tell me command for how to shift configuration mode to user mode directly in cisco switch. thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

type: End  or combine control + C (or Z)

and then 

type: exit

There is no a shortcut to go from configure terminal to user exec mode.

http://etherealmind.com/cisco-ios-cli-shortcuts/

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

Hi

no worries my friend, imagine the following scenario:

PC A  (Port g1/3) ---- SWITCH ---- PC B (Port g1/48)  ; same vlan

When PC A sends a frame to PC B, the frame will be received by the switch, the switch will verify the header of the PC A's Frame and will check the destination MAC address, then it will search the MAC address into the local MAC address table, once it is found into the table the switch verify the interface associated to the MAC and it will send the frame to the interface, in our case g1/48. 

If the destination MAC address is not found, the switch will flood out the frame on all the interfaces except to the interface g1/3.

ARP protocol can be used to find the mac address through an IP address. 

The following link can be useful:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/68421/overview-layer-2-switched-networks-and-communication

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Try pressing down the control key and than press z (^z)

(ctrl + z)

HTH

hello

ctrl + z through this we will come from configuration mode to privilege mode. not in user mode

Hi

type: End  or combine control + C (or Z)

and then 

type: exit

There is no a shortcut to go from configure terminal to user exec mode.

http://etherealmind.com/cisco-ios-cli-shortcuts/

hello,

If i have 1 cisco switch with 24 ports. 2 systems are connect with switch. like SystemA and SystemB. if system A want to send data to systemB then systemA what will write on destination address. thanks

Hi

If both systems are in the same vlan and the switch is layer 2, the destination address will be the mac address of the System B.

Hello

But how system A knows the mac address of system B?

Basically the switch knows the MAC address of the devices connected to it. 

The switches works with mac addresses, they create a mac address table and when a frame is received the switch will check the header where the source and destinations mac addresses are included.

So the switch will check the frame from System A, will check the destination Mac Address and if it is into its mac address table, the switch will send the frame to the port associated to the Mac address of the system B.

If not it will send a copy of the frame to all the ports except where the frame was received in few words the port associated to the Systema A.

still i am confused ..

I know switch created a mac table. switch will receive frame from system A and read the destination after that switch will check the mac table, where is the mac address and on which port address it is associated.

But my question is still here. what destination address will use system A for send data to System B. bcz System A does not know about system B.

When switch receive frame from System A. there will mention destination address for system B then switch will check the mac table and send data on relevant port.

Hi

no worries my friend, imagine the following scenario:

PC A  (Port g1/3) ---- SWITCH ---- PC B (Port g1/48)  ; same vlan

When PC A sends a frame to PC B, the frame will be received by the switch, the switch will verify the header of the PC A's Frame and will check the destination MAC address, then it will search the MAC address into the local MAC address table, once it is found into the table the switch verify the interface associated to the MAC and it will send the frame to the interface, in our case g1/48. 

If the destination MAC address is not found, the switch will flood out the frame on all the interfaces except to the interface g1/3.

ARP protocol can be used to find the mac address through an IP address. 

The following link can be useful:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/68421/overview-layer-2-switched-networks-and-communication

Hello

I have cleared my concept now. Actually i am new in cisco therefore i have some doughts.

Please tell me. how i can check arp table on switch and how i can check it my computer arp table.

second question. systemA and SystemB are attached with SwitchA. Switch is off.

when switch will be on then it will broadcast and create mac table to that broadcast or when systemA will ping SystemB then both entries will be added on switch mac table. thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card