cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to telnet from a 6513 with VRF

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I"m inheriting a new network that uses a 6513 as the core switch with VRF implemented.  How do I telnet or ssh to a 3750X from the core when VRF is implemented.  Just to ping I had to use " ping vrf TRUSTED x.x.x.x". 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When you have a vrf, you have separate routing tables. I was basing my answer on what you were asking and thought you were needing it. Let's say that you want to ping a device in the vrf CustA. When you ping from the switch that has the vrf, you'll type "ping vrf CustA 192.168.1.50". You have to tell the switch that you're wanting to send the ping into the vrf, otherwise it tries to send it to its own global routing table.

Telnet will work the same way. You'll want to tell it that you want to telnet into a device in a certain vrf. Otherwise, it will try to route using the global routing table and not the vrf that you want.

So, if the device/host that you need to get to is in a vrf, you'll need to append/prepend the vrf tag when trying to connect to it from the switch.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

telnet /vrf

HTH,
John

How do I verify the vrf name that should be used " telnet /vrf "

Forgive my ignorance.  First time I have seen VRF. 

When you have a vrf, you have separate routing tables. I was basing my answer on what you were asking and thought you were needing it. Let's say that you want to ping a device in the vrf CustA. When you ping from the switch that has the vrf, you'll type "ping vrf CustA 192.168.1.50". You have to tell the switch that you're wanting to send the ping into the vrf, otherwise it tries to send it to its own global routing table.

Telnet will work the same way. You'll want to tell it that you want to telnet into a device in a certain vrf. Otherwise, it will try to route using the global routing table and not the vrf that you want.

So, if the device/host that you need to get to is in a vrf, you'll need to append/prepend the vrf tag when trying to connect to it from the switch.

HTH,
John

Thank you for your help!

Hi John,

Reading this post helped me  also  in telneting when vrf is enabled.

Best regards

Mahesh

Glad to hear it Mahesh

HTH,
John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: