Views
Helpful
Replies

How to test Data Throughput speed between two switches

netadmindha
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Gents,

1) I want to test Data Throughput speed between two switches in the following scenarios :

My switches are  new setup and still not connected to any production networks

Scenario1 : 

Switch 1  <-------Single mode  10G uplink  Layer2 Trunk-------> Switch2

Q1 : how to test the Data throughput  by using any tool or send traffic from ESX 10G port to another 10G ESX  under a single vlan

Scenario2:

Switch 1  <-------Single mode  1G uplink  layer 2 -------> Switch2 two 1G switches....?

Q2: If want to copy data 500MB using FTP or SFTP a host under switch1 to  a host in switch2  what shoould be my Data throguhput will be ?

Scenario3:

Laer2 N5k 1 <-------Multi mode  10G L2 ----Core-Sw6513 720B sup ----10G -----uplink  layer 2 Multimode -------> N5k2

Q) If want to copy data 500MB using FTP or SFTP a host under N5k1 to  a host in N5k22  what shoould be my Data throguhput will be ?

Overall  I would like to know the way to find out what is the standard data throughput i can expect if two hosts want to communicate using

1G link or 10G link ?

Please treat this request on high priortiy and thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You may need to save on your users folder like:

C:\Documents and Settings\\

And run it from there.

It will show you link perfomance between server and client, but it depends on many things. Congestion on network, how many transactions between server and clients etc.

But in very general 1024 Mbit/sec / 8 bit = 128 MB/sec. if client has also 1Gb/sec link connection.

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

netadmindha
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

can somebody reply to my below query?

Appreciate your quick resposne.

Thanks and Regards,

Akber Mirza.

Use jperf, however it can vary depending on what you are doing.  FTP vs secure FTP two different things.  Because secure FTP uses encrypted traffic so it will be a bit slower.    

jperf and iperf are good tools. Just make sure you do memory to memory test with no encrypted traffic. Since it's 10G, you might need to start many process at the same time to use more then one core.

Dear Gents,

I am reading first time about Iperf tool   .

Can somebody tell me the steps or a good website to test  data transfer using Iperf between hosts windows 7 to windows 2003server

I tried couple of sites but couldnt understand how to use it 

Appreciate your quick qucik respsne.

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

Hi,

On windows server download iperf, save it on C:\ and open command line:

cd c:

iperf -s

On windows workstation(client), same steps as above but other command:

iperf -c x.y.z.w

x.y.z.w - server ip address.

http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php

Please rate helpful posts.

Best regards,
Abzal

Thanks for your reply!

I am getting the follwoing error  on server win2003 :

bind failed: Permission denied

From the above link i can see the steps ....could you also share me an appropriate link exact verseion?

Also I wanto to transfer 1Gb data between my host and server over a 1G  connection and see the speed ?

For 1Gb/sec what should be the exact command will be?

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

You may need to save on your users folder like:

C:\Documents and Settings\\

And run it from there.

It will show you link perfomance between server and client, but it depends on many things. Congestion on network, how many transactions between server and clients etc.

But in very general 1024 Mbit/sec / 8 bit = 128 MB/sec. if client has also 1Gb/sec link connection.

Best regards,
Abzal

Thank for your reply.

I tried to test the throughut between two directly connected 1G host and i was getting a throughput of 22MB/sec or 180Mb/sec

Tomorrow i will test the throughput over a 1G switch LAN to know the results.

parallelly i want to know what the through put i will be getting if i test between two 10G hosts ovet 10G LAN.

REgards,

Akber Mirza

Hello Gents,

Can somebody respond to my below query.

i want to know what the data throug put i will be getting if i test between two 10G hosts ovet 10G LAN.

Esxserver --N2k10G---N5k-  10G----6500--10G ---6500----10G---N5k---10G ---N2k10G ---- Esx server

6500 with 720B supengine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco