Views
Helpful
Replies

How to transfer and IOS from a 9200 to 9500

andrew-itzhak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

First post so sorry if I miss any important info.

When trying to upgrade a 9200 and a 9500, I didn't have a copper sfp for the 9500. I had the idea of putting the ios on the 9200 and copying it over to the 9500 since they are connected. 

9200 is now running cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA. I'm trying to get the 9500 on cat9k_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA.

Tried < copy tftp: flash: > with the ip of the 9200 and it times out.
Tried using <tftp-server flash:> command on the 9200 then tried again but its still timing out. 

Is this possible? I found documentation for moving and ios from router to router, but I thought since the command was available that it would work on two switches. 

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@andrew-itzhak wrote:
9200 is now running cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA. I'm trying to get the 9500 on cat9k_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA.

Look at those two filenames.  They are different and mutually exclusive.  

IOS-XE firmware for 9200, with the word "lite" in the middle of the filename, is exclusive to 9200/9200 & 9300L.  Forcing a 9500 for boot off the "lite" firmware will guarantee the 9500 will go into ROMMON.  

Finally, why go through all this difficulty when the firmware for all Catalyst 9k switches are free to downloadFREE!

Cisco Catalyst IOS Software Update Program for Cisco Catalyst 9200/X, 9300/X, 9400/X, 9500/X and 9600/X Series Switches

Free critical updates:

◦    Free critical updates are available to the original customer for up to 1 year after announced end-of- support. These critical updates maintain the compliance of the Software with published specifications, release notes and industry wide compliance.
◦    Free vulnerability and security updates are available to the original customer for up to 3 years after announced end-of-sale.
◦    No support contract is required to obtain these software updates.

●      Free major and minor releases:

◦    Free major and minor release updates are available to an original customer moving from one release to another within the same perpetual license level (i.e. Cisco Network Advantage or Cisco Network Essentials).
◦    No support contract is required to obtain these releases.

Go to the Cisco Download portal and download the firmware & SMU to your heart's delight.

I might’ve made it confusing but I’m not trying to get the 9500 to boot from the lite version . I just want the 9500 to be able to transfer cat9k_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA from the 9200 , because the 9200 has that file stored in its flash memory . Any ideas ? 

I am not clear about your environment. Would I be correct about these assumptions:

- you have the image for the 9500 on your PC

- you have tftp software (or ftp or scp or some file transfer software) on your PC

- you have IP connectivity between your PC and the 9500

If these are true then simply on the 9500 copy tftp flash and specify your PC as the source.

HTH

Rick

No IP connectivity from the PC to 9500 . These devices are not on any network and can't be put on a network because government restrictions . 

@andrew-itzhak wrote:
 I just want the 9500 to be able to transfer cat9k_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA from the 9200 , because the 9200 has that file stored in its flash memory . Any ideas ? 
  1. Delete the file from the 9200. 
  2. Go to the Cisco website and download the "cat9k_iosxe.17.12.03.SPA" BIN file. 
  3. Transfer the file into the 9500.
  4. Done.  

If you want to make it (more) complicated, just say it.

Did you miss the part of me not having a copper sfp to be able to transfer that file ? 

@andrew-itzhak wrote:
Did you miss the part of me not having a copper sfp to be able to transfer that file ? 

Option 1:  USB flash drive

Option 2:  All Catalyst switches have a Management Port (GigabitEthernet0/0)

The main reason for this post is to find out how to transfer a file between two switches that are connected . Not looking for how to get the os installed . I tried the way that was mentioned by @Kasun Bandara but that didn't work either 

@andrew-itzhak wrote:
These devices are not on any network and can't be put on a network because government restrictions . 
The main reason for this post is to find out how to transfer a file between two switches that are connected 

Look at the two statements above:  They are self-contradictory. 

The two switches cannot be connected, using an ethernet connection, because of "restrictions".  

So the only way is to "swing" the connection:

1.  Connect a laptop using the Management Port. 

2.  Copy the firmware across to the target switch.  

Alternatively, copy the firmware to the target switch using a USB flash drive.  

ok what if i rephrase my question like this - I have a 9500 and a 9200 powered on only connected to each other and nothing else . is there a way to move one file from the 9200 to the 9500 ? 

This isn't something that's impacting operations , more of I wanted to learn how to get that done if i ever need to do something like this in the future . 

@andrew-itzhak wrote:
I have a 9500 and a 9200 powered on only connected to each other and nothing else . is there a way to move one file from the 9200 to the 9500 ? 

With all the "restrictions" imposed, not that I can think of.  

Without the restrictions, I can move firmware into the 9500 (without using the GLC-T) using the Management Port or the USB flash drive.  

If I am understanding correctly the 9200 and the 9500 can not be connected to any outside network. But they are connected to each other and as such can create a private network. In that case you should be able to connect a computer to the 9200, make the computer part of the private network, and then be able to transfer the file from the computer to the 9500 (with the 9200 as the transit device).

HTH

Rick

@andrew-itzhak hello,

you can follow below guide for this process. but make sure you are using correct compatible OS file to upgrade the device as @Leo Laohoo mentioned. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2500-series-routers/15092-copyimage.html

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

I tried to follow this but it timed out every time 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card