Views
Helpful
Replies

How to upgrade IOS

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

I wanted to know if someone could explain to me the steps needed to upgrade an ios.I've looked on the internet but i can't find any good informaiton.I have the TFTP software but other than that i don't know how to proceed.Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Scooter817

Before you start the actual upgrade can I ask the following questions please.

1. What equipment are you planning to upgrade the IOS on? Switch/Router and what model?

2. What IOS version is currently on this equipment?

3. How much DRAM and Flash memory does your equipment currently have?

4. What IOS version are you planning on upgrading to?

5. What size is this IOS version?

These questions should be answered prior to starting any upgrade as you need to ensure that your Router/Switch has enough resources to run the new IOS version.

Best Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Scooter817

Before you start the actual upgrade can I ask the following questions please.

1. What equipment are you planning to upgrade the IOS on? Switch/Router and what model?

2. What IOS version is currently on this equipment?

3. How much DRAM and Flash memory does your equipment currently have?

4. What IOS version are you planning on upgrading to?

These questions should be answered prior to starting any upgrade as you need to ensure that your Router/Switch has enough resources to run the new IOS version.

Best Regards,

Michael

It's a 4510R switch and i will go over to the other building where they are at and find out and i will be right back

1. What equipment are you planning to upgrade the IOS on? Switch

2. What IOS version is currently on this equipment? 12.2 (25)

3. How much DRAM and Flash memory does your equipment currently have? 512 Dram 128 Flash

4. What IOS version are you planning on upgrading to? 12.2 (31)

cat4500-entservicesk9-mz

Size 12028080

Hi Scooter817

This image (if I am not mistaken) is around 12/13mb in size so there should be lots of space in flash to hold this. But just to confirm you should run the command "dir flash:" Also 512mb DRAM should be more then enough to run this image.

Before you start you should back up the current IOS image to your tftp server with the command "copy flash tftp". You might want to run "show version£ first to check the name of the current image.

This Cisco document shows the procedure for upgrading a Catalyst 4500 switch, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801347e2.shtml

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks a million this is really helpful,I going to go home tonight and practice on my presonal switches and i will do this on Monday

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card