cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how two LINKSYS RV082 routers be connected physically?

daguiorosemary
Level 1
Level 1

we have two independent networks in 2 offices...one in LG and one in 16th fl..THIS IS HOW IT LOOKS

USERS----LINKSYS RV082 router-----+ISP+DHCP enabled ==on 16th floor ++(INTERNET)

and same on LG(lower ground)

USERS----LINKSYS RV082 router-----+ISP+DHCP enabled ==Lower Ground ++(INTERNET)

we want to connect both routers but the DHCP of the other router would be disabled and each router would still have its own ISP. could you help us what to do....we're thinking of the transparent bridging but don't know yet what to do.. we want the routers to be physically connected

USERS----LINKSYS RV082 router-----+ISP+DHCP enabled ==on 16th floor ++(INTERNET)

#
          #
          #
          #

USERS----LINKSYS RV082 router-----+ISP-DHCP disbled ==Lower Ground ++(INTERNET)

on the "####" IS THE CONNECTION/CABLE between the 2 routers BUT what would it be?...like doing transparent bridging? or using switch on 16th floor and a cat5 or cat6 down to LG?

Thank you in advance.

the attached image is what we want to happen

PS: disregard VPN..what other options

Thank you in advance.

Message was edited by: Rosemary Daguio

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

what about transparent bridging??wouldn't be an option?

You can use "transparent bridging" if you can find a way to put a bridge in between the two floors.

Now that's not the issue.  The real issue is HOW do you plan to run a link from one floor to the other?

Talk to the building manager.  You may need someone to run cables from the two floors using the floor MDF/IDF.  This won't be easy but I've seen stuffs like these in Manila.

IF you can run the cables this way, then I recommend you run single-mode fibre optic cable. 

View solution in original post

are there any types of cables that could replace the use of fiber optic cables?

Copper or ethernet.

Krone or Panduit Cat6A would be nice to have but you have to make sure each link is LESS THAN 100 metres. 

what about if it exceed to 100 m..what else could it be?

Then your link could potentially operate in 10 Mbps, HALF duplex.

If this is the case, then don't even bother as you'll get more problems. 

17 Replies 17

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I see two options:

1. Connect them over VPN connection through Internet.

2. Put one machine with Windows server or Linux etc. with 2 NIC each side would be connected to Linksys to any LAN switch port with IP address of appropriate LAN. And configure routing on routers pointing to that machine. Enable IP routing on the machine.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

thank you for the suggestions...but we don't want to do it thru VPN...anyway we'll consider your 2nd option...and see what happens..really thanks

do you know any other options that will connect the two routers physically?..which means we will use cable....thanks

Ok. I've read in documentation that it has two WAN ports. So I think you could just cable coming from one of other Linksys LAN port (one of 8 ports) and connect it to second router's WAN port (DMZ/Internet port).

Then if first router is running DHCP second router can take IP address from that subnet.

After that you need to configure IP routing.

http://www.intelek.cz/db/repository.nsf/v/2922FD0E586B9690C1257401005085F3/$file/Manual_Linksys_router_RV082.pdf

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

thank you really for the time and sharing your knowledge..coz I'm still an IT-Trainee..and eager to learn more...hope you woudn't mind questions..

what specific cable should we use for the connection?

yes I've seen the manual..what part of it should i look....i mean on router configuration coz there's many of it..

so we only need cable and do the configurations to be able to do what my supervisor wants to happen?no need for switch?

i think we're getting closer to solving it...

thanks

do you know any other options that will connect the two routers physically?..which means we will use cable....thanks

You can't use copper cable because the distance would be in excess of 100 metres allowed on FastEthernet standards.

You could try using multi-mode fibre and connect each end to a fibre optic media converter.  The media converter then connects to the Linksys router via copper.   This would be a very expensive option in the Philippines.

hi leolaohoo...

if we consider your idea..may I ask..what media converter would we use..is it the copper to fiber media converter or the fiber to fiber media converter?

-thanks

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary,

Here are a few things you need to figure out first before connecting your routers together

1-What is distance between the router on the ground level and the router on the16th floor.

When you find this answer, the next question is

2-what type fiber (single mode or multimode) do you have in place between these floors.

When you find this answer, the next question is

3-Does each router have a optical fiber interface

4-If yes, what type of interface is it.  Is it SFP (LC) or Gbic (SC) if not

5-Does each router have an available copper interface

if yes, what speed

Please provide answer to above questions.

HTH

Reza

uh oh...for #s 2 & 3...accdg.to my Supervisor..we don't have any fiber optic....and no optical fiber int.

any suggestions ?

You can use "transparent bridging" if you can find a way to put a bridge in between the two floors.

Now that's not the issue.  The real issue is HOW do you plan to run a link from one floor to the other?

Talk to the building manager.  You may need someone to run cables from the two floors using the floor MDF/IDF.  This won't be easy but I've seen stuffs like these in Manila.

IF you can run the cables this way, then I recommend you run single-mode fibre optic cable. 

for the transparent bridging....are there any types of cables that could replace the use of fiber optic cables?

are there any types of cables that could replace the use of fiber optic cables?

Copper or ethernet.

if we use ethernet..what kind of it would be the best?

-thank you..

Krone or Panduit Cat6A would be nice to have but you have to make sure each link is LESS THAN 100 metres. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card