Helpful
Replies

HSRP between ISP's router and L3 Switch

balachandhars
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

We have our WAN setup as explained in the attachment herewith. As of now, We have a IP 1 configured as HSRP IP in the LAN switch end at Site A and Site B. As per the HSRP priority, Site A's WAN router will preempt to be the Active WAN router. 1*1Gig link at both DCs connect to the respectve WAN router.

But with this setup, we experience a WAN outage whenever there is a link disconect at Site A - as HSRP fails over from Active to Standby(Site B) and again when the link at Site gets restored. To avoid this :

Is it possible to have the HSRP configured over a port channel at Site A and B (or atleast at Site A) ? In that case, will there be a need for the ISP to change their configuration except to configure a port channel ? Please note that the ISP has Cisco 7000 series router which connects to 3750 stack at DC lan.

Please let me know your inputs...

Thanks and Regards,

Bala.

2 Replies 2

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

"we experience a WAN outage whenever there is a link disconect at Site A - as HSRP fails over from Active to Standby(Site B) and again when the link at Site gets restored."

Are you talking about a failure of that 1 Gig line between your L3 switch and the ISP router?  It's a LAN connection, isn't it? How often it fails?

Or are you talking about a WAN circuit failure? In that case the Port Channel will not help you.

In any case, what it the exact model of the ISP router?

I'm afraid mopst routers don't support Port Channels, unless equipped with some switch module...

BR,

Milan

Hi Milan,

THANKS A LOT FOR THE RESPONSE.

"we experience a WAN outage whenever there is a link disconect at Site A  - as HSRP fails over from Active to Standby(Site B) and again when the  link at Site gets restored."Are you talking about a failure of that 1 Gig line between your L3  switch and the ISP router?  It's a LAN connection, isn't it? How often  it fails? - Yes. I am pointing to the 1 gig link between router and L3 Switch. We donot face a frequent disconnect with this link.

Or are you talking about a WAN circuit failure? In that case the Port Channel will not help you. - I donot refer the WAN cicuit here.

In any case, what it the exact model of the ISP router?

I'm afraid mopst routers don't support Port Channels, unless equipped with some switch module... - As per the CDP details I can see from the LAN switch end, the device model is Cisco 7300.

I see that Port Channel configurations are allowed i Cisco 7300 model routers as below :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7300/maintain_and_operate_guides/7304_maintain_and_operate_guides/7304eth.html#wp999349

Please correct my understanding, if wrong.

Thansk,

Bala.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card